Friend Zoned {17}

I made my way home after hanging out with Gideon for a while. I let myself into the house and went up to the living room, beaming at my parents who were sitting on the couch.

                “What?” mom asked curiously. “Why are you in such a good mood?”

                “Mother, father, you are currently looking at Gideon Marchesane’s boyfriend,” I said proudly.

                “It’s about time,” dad said, laughing.

                “Good for you Benjamin,” mom said, smiling at me.

                “So if you hear strange noises coming from my bedroom, it’s probably just me fangirling over the fact that we’re dating now,” I informed them.

                “We’re happy for you Benji,” dad said with a smile.

                “Thanks!” I said before skipping into my bedroom.

                I collapsed on my bed and grinned up at my ceiling. I sat up and grabbed a picture of me and Gideon off of my dresser.

                After all these years of being friend zoned by him, we were finally boyfriends. I had never been so happy in my entire life, and I just couldn’t wipe the smile off my face. I was shaking in excitement, and it was taking all of my willpower not to call Gideon and scream in his ear about how much I loved him and how happy I was. I had already done that when I was with him at his house.

                I curled up on my bed, clutching the picture to my chest. Tomorrow, I could tell Sonnet and Ethan that we were dating. My smile grew even wider and I closed my eyes, wanting it to be tomorrow already so I could see Gideon.

                                                                                                ***

                I looked around the hallway for any sign of my boyfriend. Gideon must have been running late, though, because he wasn’t anywhere in sight.

                “Hey Benji,” Ethan greeted, walking up to me. “Congrats on dating Gideon.”

                “How did you know?” I asked.

                “Because it’s written all over your face,” he said with a shrug, hooking his thumbs in his pockets. “I’ve never seen you look so happy before. You usually have a cynical look on your face. So congratulations. I’m happy for you.” He offered me a smile.

                “You’re one to talk about cynical expressions,” I said, rolling my eyes.

                He grinned at me. “I may be cynical, but I am damn sexy while doing it.”

                “Hey guys,” Sonnet said, coming over to us.

                “I’M DATING GIDEON!” I cried, gripping her shoulders tightly. “HE ASKED ME OUT LAST NIGHT AND NOW WE’RE DATING AND I AM SO DAMN HAPPY SONNET.”

                “Whoa, easy killer!” she said, pulling my hands away from her shoulders. She pulled me into a hug and smiled. “I am happy for you, though. You’re way better for Gideon than Jude Tibbits was. And you’ve wanted to date him for so long.”

                “Greyson!”

                I smiled widely and spun out of Sonnet’s arms to face Gideon. He opened his arms up to me and I basically launched into them, sending Gideon stumbling backwards a little.