Friend Zoned {9}

“Gideon?” I choked out.

                They broke apart and Gideon glanced at me, blushing bright red. “Oh- Hi Greyson!”

                “What…What are you doing?”I asked, barely able to believe what I had just seen.

                Gideon took Jude’s hand in his own. He smiled, happiness clear on his face. Jude gave me a smug look, though I could also see happiness in his eyes.

                “Jude asked me to be his boyfriend. I said yes,” Gideon explained.

                “Isn’t it great Benji?” Jude asked, his smirk bigger than ever.

                “It is great. I’ve never been this happy before,” Gideon said, looking like he was about to explode with joy.

                “I’m happy for you Gideon,” I managed to force out.

                Unable to say anything else to him, I turned and hurried away from his bedroom. I entered the living room and Sonnet looked up at me.

                “Benji? What happened? What’s wrong?” she asked, immediately concerned.

                “They’re dating,” I said, the words bitter in my mouth. I thrust her iPod back into her hands.

                “Did you show him the video?” she asked.

                I shook my head. “No. And I’m not going to. He’s…He’s so damn happy Sonnet! Let him be happy with that piece of shit! I could never make him happy like that,” I said, hating it.

                I clenched my fists tightly and spun around, storming out of Gideon’s house, ignoring Sonnet as she called my name. I walked down to the end of the driveway and collapsed behind a tree. I pulled my knees up to my chest, wrapping my arms around them and pressing my forehead against my knees. I squeezed my eyes shut tightly as my chest continued to ache.

                That image of Jude and Gideon kissing passionately kept rising in my mind. The happiness in both of their eyes. Gideon’s words.

                A hand fell on my shoulder and I jerked away, looking up. Ethan sat down next to me and began to pick at the grass.

                “It sucks, huh?” he said.

                “Leave me alone Ethan. I want to be alone,” I snarled.

                He gave a tired smile towards the ground. “I’ve never been in love before. But I know what’s like when you just want someone so badly, and you can’t have them. I also know that conflicting feeling of needing someone, but wanting to be alone.”

                “Leave me alone,” I said quietly.

                “Nah, I don’t think I will. I think you should go show Gideon that video before he gets too far into this relationship. Jude is a dick, and he’s bound to hurt Gideon, even if it’s indirectly,” Ethan said with a shrug.

                “He’s happy. I can’t ruin it for him,” I whispered.

                “I can!” Ethan offered joyfully.

                “No. No, just leave him alone. If Jude treats him nicely and makes him happy, then just let them be,” I said. I felt so hopeless.