Chapter 14 - Syianne

14 - Syianne

The Doorstep Lodge, like the Lemming, combines a dance bar with a boarding house. Unlike the Lemming, it is a well-oiled establishment, the rooms are bigger and newly renovated and most of them seem to be occupied. There's a seedy feeling in the air though, and it isn't only because Heign Valley is the most intimidating place I have been to in my life.

No one knows what I am. I had taken the precaution of wearing a wool cap over my forehead so that my diamond is out of sight – but I feel anxious, frightened for my safety, worried about Cello. I'm restless, pacing back and forth in the room, sitting on one of the bunks and staring endlessly at the phone that just doesn't ring.

I take a long shower and spend a reasonable amount of time drying my hair, but time doesn't pass. I try to sleep and then to read a book, but I can't concentrate on that either.

I'm hungry, though I'm afraid to leave the room and go to the grocers that are across the street. I'm afraid that they'll call while I'm away, I'm afraid of the street and the dodgy people there.

I munch on some of the raisin biscuits my neighbour back at home made and try to relax. It's strange eating something that tastes like home, it's strange how despite all this chaos, the biscuits are plainly normal and solid. I consider the possibility of going back home, or even back to the Zephyr, but both seem like the wrong choice for me.

Who'd have thought? Only sixteen and already a fugitive with nowhere to go.

*

The phone bleats like a donkey in my ear. I jump up and hit my head on the upper bunk. The room is in semi-darkness and the flickering lights on the phone are almost blinding. I guess eventually boredom won over and I had fallen asleep, I stumble forward and fumble with the phone, nearly dropping the receiver before I could bring it to my ear.

"He-hello?" I hoot like an owl, my voice still sleepy and hoarse. "Art?"

"It's me," Cello says. "Are you alright?"

"I'm fine. Are you?" I feel a twinge of anger towards how he left me without consulting with me. He can make his own plans as long as they don't involve me. I'm not just something that can be thrown into a rail-car and shipped away.

"I think he stopped following me the moment we separated." Cello cuts straight to the point. "You haven't seen him around there, have you?"

"I don't even know what he looks like," I snap, fighting to keep myself from yelling at him over the phone. "I haven't left the room since I arrived; I was waiting for you to call, what took you so long?"

"Good." He doesn't answer my question. "Don't leave that room, don't let anyone in. I'm on my way; it'll take a while because I think I'm on the other side of this damned city."

"Cello, this is crazy, we should go back."

"Don't leave the room, Syianne," he says and hangs up. I yell his name into the receiver, but he's long gone.

Now time passes by more quickly, because I'm seething with anger at that infuriating boy. I curse the fact that I'm stuck with him, and that he's an idiot and insanely paranoid. I curse my biological parents for being such a mystery and the Zephyr for being nothing of what I expected it to be.

I get it all out of my system, and when I'm done, I'm completely fine again. I'm relaxed and ready to face everything and anything the universe sends my way. I sit back down on the bunk and start munching another biscuit.

A knock comes from the door.

I leap up, this time careful not to bump my head on the upper bunk and am halfway to the door when I pause. "Who's there?" I call.