Chapter 37 - Cello

37 - Cello

I'm no longer stuck inside grey ooze. The ground below my feet feels hard, as hard as stone. The white light that shines from my forehead illuminates what looks like a worm-shaped cave — what the insides of that worm would look like had they been made of stone. I touch the nearest wall – it is hard, and cold.

I search for the cave opening through which I entered, but in every direction I turn, the tunnel stretches on. So I have to go north?

I unclip my controller from the front strap and squint at the screen. Right enough, like Control room promised, in the corner, is a little spinning arrow. I tilt it until I find north. The tunnel I'm in goes from southeast to northwest, I head northwest.

There are more tunnels that break out from the tunnel I'm walking in. I have to consult the compass in every intersection. After assuring Syianne that I'm fine and telling Jika that I'll see him again on the surface, I walk in silence and alone for a long time. The grey tunnels stretch out for what seems an eternity. When I try to think how that worm thing could hold such a maze inside it my head feels dizzy. It's the sort of situation that's hard to comprehend, yet at the same time, easy to accept. It's like a dream.

I begin to realise that something is strange and different only when I notice that there is some sort of light coming from someplace ahead. I've stopped hearing transmissions from Control, I've stopped hearing Syianne's voice as she talks to Sagastus. I look at my compass, but the controller screen is blank. I hit the side of the controller with my hand. It's completely dead.

With no other choice left, I walk towards the light.

There's a scratching noise from up ahead, the light is yellowish and flickering, like fire. I'm apprehensive, but I'm too curious to go back. I step into a cavern as large as the launching hall and illuminated by torches — actual torches. The flickering light shines on the walls that are decorated with wall-paintings and inscriptions.

            I don't know what the scratching sound is, until I approach the nearest wall. There are words being etched into the stone, carved by an invisible hand. I touch the letters as they form, my heart beating quickly. What is this place? Why am I here? What surprises me most of all and even though it shouldn't be surprising, is the fact that the words being written are all in Darabesh.

"...and thus upon the burnt soil with feather'd feet Windchild shall stride. True to the wind-teachings he will strive to become one with the earth. But if the earth shalt not forget its depth and the wind shalt remember the sky, the time for the end cannot consider the sublime beauty of their false unity...."

I continue down the wall, my heart leaping up to my throat with excitement. Is this a prophecy, or a message, or both? I must discover what it is I came here to find out, why I was chosen to do so.

"...blood flows like rivers down paved streets. Fire burns innocent homes. The Shadow, the Walker, the Follower marches to its reign of terror, wrapping human hearts in a shroud of impenetrable fear. Death is an immanent partner to life on land. Slaved feel the bitter taste of freedom and bejewelled children weep for the waste of useful things..."

I don't want to read anything more of what's being written on this wall, so I move down a little to read what's next.

On the next wall, the letters begin to write themselves when I approach. Three words, I gasp, my knees shaking.

Duryiend. Save us.

"What should I do?" I cry, and although it's not supposed to happen, my shout echoes through the cavern. Could it be that the people taken by the Zephyr are somehow still alive? But how would they know my name?

Letter by letter, an answer forms itself on the wall in front of me.

Give us the power to set ourselves free

"How?" I ask, my voice calmer.

The writing is slower to come this time, as if whatever is writing on the wall is losing energy.

Find the Earthchild key.

I don't understand, what is an Earthchild key? "Who are you?" I ask.

Slowly, painfully slowly, the words begin to form.

We

Are

I wait impatiently for the next word; I'm running out of time. I know that out of all the words written on the wall, the answer to my question is the most important one.

"RED ALERT! RED ALERT! EVACUATE! ERRATIC FEILDS IN ALL LAYERS! EVACUATE!"

I'm rushing up so quickly, my ears are ringing. It's like I was rushing up all along, that I had never even been in the cavern. Although it was vividly real, it feels now that it had all happened inside my mind, in a split second between thoughts, time had stood still and something spoke to me. But those people that need my help, who are they?

Author's Note: And only 2-3 chapters till the end of the book... I suddenly wish there was more.