Chapter 29 - Syianne

29 - Syianne

There are hordes of people crowding the plaza, shop windows are smashed and several rail cars are in flames. The central mob is concentrated on something that isn't us, something which I can't see, but then the people closest to us notice us — notice me, in my stupid Zephyr uniform, and like zombies, they begin turning towards me.

A flaming object is thrown at me, hitting my shoulder and then rolls down to the ground at my feet. I have enough time to register that it's only a glass bottle with some yellow-tinted liquid inside and a burning piece of cloth stuck up its neck before Artus pulls me away and pushes me on the ground, throwing himself on top of me. Flames erupt all around us as the bottle explodes, and Artus's screams split my soul. He rolls off of me and onto the ground trying to extinguish his burning shirt. He manages to take it off and stomp off several places where his pants have caught fire.

But then the mob closes in around me and I can't see him anymore. I hear his voice calling my name growing fainter and fainter. I'm surrounded by a circle of people who hate me but are afraid to touch me. A girl, the same girl from before, breaks through the circle and hurtles herself on top of me, her nails digging into my face and neck. I try to kick at her, but my legs are too short. She clutches my hair and drags me up to my knees. "This thing tried to kill my brother!" she screams, giving my head a shake. I kick my foot behind the girl's knee making her leg buckle; she loses balance and falls, her grip growing feeble enough for me to pry my hair away from between her fingers. As I begin to stagger away someone kicks me in the side and my body smashes down onto the ground again.

I roll onto my stomach and everything is blurred by the tears in my eyes and the pain shooting through every nerve in my body, "NO! STOP! PLEASE!"

They close in, thirsty for my blood. I curl into a small ball, cradling my head between my arms and shut my eyes. They don't attack me all at once, they're still afraid to approach. Maybe they're scared I'll do some magic. But I have nothing to protect me, I'm just a girl.

I'm so sorry Artus, for putting you in danger. I'm so sorry mother and father, for not being a child that can be easily loved. I'm sorry Cello, for confusing you, for deserting you. I'm sorry Risa Medrick, for envying you, I'm sorry Minty, Tiger, for running away from you. I'm sorry Fellin, for not having time to get to know you. I'm sorry Sagastus, for ever fearing you. I'm sorry to die. What a waste it is to die this way.

One person kicks my right shoulder, and then the dam that held the violence back is breached and the kicks come from everywhere. Someone grabs me by the hair in a bone-hard clutch and then another hand forcefully pulls my arm away. "Cut off her thumb!" calls the girl from before. I struggle to pull my hand back, but the grip that holds is too strong. My fingers are closed into a first, a big hand pries them apart until my thumb is held separate, I feel the blade of a knife press against my skin.

I scream.

A strange noise makes me open my eyes; something explodes through the crowd, sending people tumbling onto each other.

A big black bubble opens its wide mouth and swallows me.

*

"Syianne."

"Syianne, it's alright."

My eyes open but all I see is a blur. I can't make out anything. A cool hand touches the side of my neck, and I try to squirm away from it. Something happens from the touch of skin on skin and I feel a bright healing clearness flow into my body. My eyes begin to focus. I carefully move my arm away from my face and lift my gaze. I'm still lying on the long paving stones of the plaza. There's someone crouching beside me, a man, and behind him I can't make out the crowd, I can't see anything.