Chapter 1

Adrianne

The gems glistened in the light of the morning sun that spilled in through the open window. Adrianne let the simple, yet incredibly beautiful necklace slide through her fingers, feeling the light weight of the jewellery. The sun reflected beautifully in the tiny, white pearl that adorned it.

"It is a beautiful gift."

Adrianne turned her head and saw Miriam enter the room. Miriam had been her handmaiden since she was very young. She had the wide cheekbones and olive skin, and the big brown eyes of the original Tiberan tribes. Even now, four generations after Adrianne’s great-great grandfather took over Tibera, most of the common people was still made up of the same people who had lived there before.

The handmaiden walked across the room to put a hand on her lady's shoulder. "The Prince is very generous."

Adrianne nodded. If anything, he was generous. Her wealth was one of the things that would change for the better once she married the Prince of Etheron. It was certainly not worries about money that kept her awake at night, wishing that the King would outlive his son.

"I wish I could stay," she said with a sigh. Miriam could be trusted. That much she knew.

The maiden bended forward to whisper in her ear, "If you're lucky, the Prince will be displeased with you and will dispatch you to a small castle as soon as he is done with you."

Adrianne laughed despite herself. She had always loved Miriam's strange accentuation; how her r's rolled and how the th-sound seemed impossible for her lips to form. Sometimes she even envied her slightly darker color of skin, the way her almost black hair shone in the sun while Adrianne's blonde waves became a tousled mess.

She did not get more time to think of the differences between them because in the next second, the door to her chambers swung open and her lord father stormed in. Miriam quickly stepped an appropriate amount of steps away from her lady and curtseyed to the older man.

Henri was the fourth Lord of Tibera, the coastal lands east of Etheron. It was his great grandfather who had taken hold of Lionhall in the name of the King. The Lamarcks were famed and respected for this; the ports of Tibera were a great source of income, and it had been easier to conquer the North when they held the East, too.

"We have received news from the Capital," Henri said. Even in his old age he stood tall, his hair thinning but still keeping the blonde colour that was a trademark of the family.

Adrianne stood up from her chair, straightening her back and lifting her chin the way she had been taught to do. "Yes, father?"

Henri smiled affectionately for a moment before letting his face sink into a serious expression. "His Grace, the King has been killed."

Adrianne could but help the sharp intake of breath that followed his words, but quickly composed herself. Even as a knot tied itself tightly deep in her stomach, she kept her voice composed. "Killed?"

Henri swallowed deeply. "His throat was cut open."

This time there was no way to stop the gasp that Adrianne let out. Tears streamed forward and for a moment, she could not speak. "Who would do such a thing?" she finally whispered.

Henri shook his head. "That I do not know, my love, but I know that we have been called to the Capital for his funeral."

Adrianne looked down. "And for my engagement."

"What?" Henri's voice was tender and it was clear he had not heard what she had said.

Adrianne raised her head and spoke clearer. "I am to be engaged to the Prince, am I not?"