Chapter 8

Anaïs

 As soon as the caravan of the Yaguar people became visible in the horizon, all of the handmaidens and serving girls were brought together. An older woman, in her fifties by most guesses, whose hair had greyed and eyes had gone half-blind stepped in front of them. It was often suggested that she had gone too old for her work managing the girls, but Anaïs couldn’t remember her ever actually messing up.

“Right then, girls, quiet down,” she said in a loud voice. It cut through the room like a knife and silenced even the most talkative women. “Due to restrictions made by the lord Thomas Bonney, we have had to cut down on our expenses. That mean that the castle be lacking workers, and your work will be harder, especially with the guests having arrived.

“Your working schedules have been changed, and the following will be promoted to handmaidens for the time being and be given work in the guests’ chambers.” The old woman paused to draw out a letter. Anaïs held her breath, hoping that she might be given a chance to meet with the Kahari through these promotions. “Valarie, you will assist in the Queen’s chambers.” The woman met Valarie’s eyes when she said her name. The young girl with the round face beamed proudly. “Marie, you will be sent to Prince Raymond’s chambers.” When the girl whispered to her friends, the woman shook her head. “Reyna and Josephine, you are assigned to Celeste Lamarck’s chambers. For the Kahari’s nearest, who will be living at the castle, a new team has been set together.”

Anaïs held her breath as the woman studied the letter closely. “For his advisors, Maggie and Anna, and for the Kahari himself, Harriet and Julie.” Time seemed to slow as Anaïs blinked several times. She was a good worker; she had expected a promotion. “And for his daughter,” she continued, but Anaïs was only halfway listening, “Anaïs and Karen.”

Anaïs looked up once more, shocked. It wasn’t until a mud-haired girl with yellow teeth walked over to her. “I’m Karen,” she introduced with a smile.

Her new partner was small and not very pretty, except for a pair of mesmerizing green eyes, but she was a hard worker who was determined to prove herself. She never stopped talking, sometimes not even to eat, but that was what made her good company.

The new team was sent out to prepare the rooms before the Kahari and his advisors returned from their meeting. Karen could talk while doing anything, it seemed, gossiping on and on, but somehow never repeating herself. She was so distracting that Anaïs almost missed the figure lurking in the shadows where a corridor met the hallway that they were walking down after finishing the work.

She touched Karen’s arm to get her attention. “Excuse me for a moment?”

Karen looked from her to the corridor and seemed to notice the man there. Her smile was knowing, and Anaïs was too busy wondering about how Karen saw something that no one else seemed to see to make up a story. “See you later?” She winked while Anaïs just nodded.

When she had finally fended off Karen, she walked into the corridor, past the Shadow with his ever unreadable expressions into a corner where she was sure they would not be overheard. He followed her, far more silently. “A new friend?” he questioned once he had caught up with her.

It was strange for him to ask about such things, she noted. For some reason, a bit of hope lit up. Hope for what, she didn’t know. “You could say so.”

His eyebrow quirked and amusement made its appearance for less than a second. You had to be quick to figure him out; he was, indeed, a shadow – ever-changing and never-resting. “The Kahari met with the Council,” he told her, changing the subject as suddenly as his expressions.

“I know.”

“Disagreements were made.” He drew her further into their little corner. “The Kahari seemed to believe that the King’s death meant freedom for his people. The Queen seemed to disagree.”