Chapter 34

Raymond

 The light spilled through the tall windows, lighting it up in an almost otherworldly way. Raymond’s vision was slightly blurred and his head was aching slightly, but his mood could not have been better. Laughter, for once, bubbled in his chest as he stumbled past the threshold to his and Gabrielle’s chambers.

 She stood with her back to him, leaning over the cradle. He could hear the soft, nonsensical mutter of their baby girl from the other side of his wife. “Where have you been?” Gabrielle asked, her voice sharp. He swallowed deeply, detecting her anger.

 “With the Council.” It was only half a lie.

 She turned around swiftly. “Which part of it?”

 “Which part…?” He furrowed.

 “You know what I mean.” Her look was unforgiving. “Were you with the King’s Council, or were you just with Jonathan and Thomas, getting drunk?”

 Of course, his legs chose that moment to fail and he stumbled into the wall. “I was with the King’s Council, but then…”

 “Raymond.” She stepped towards him. “You’re a father now.”

 Her expression was the same as the one that his mother sometimes wore, in situations like these. “I’m still a man.”

 “You’re a father.”

 “Yes, well my father didn’t change just because he had a child, did he?” She jumped back in shock and he realized that he’d been shouting. Her expression changed from shock back to disappointment and she shook her head slowly. “I’m sorry,” he pleaded. “Gab, I’m sorry.”

 The baby started crying behind her and she went to see to it. She picked her up, rocking her in her arms while humming softly. “Lower your voice.”

 "I’m sorry,” he whispered.

 He really was sorry. It had been many months since the attack on the Queen’s chambers, but since then his workload had grown immensely. Raphael had told him that Adrianne did not want to go into exile, at least not until after the child was born. This meant that Raymond and sir Tristan had to work together to make the security around the royal family as well as it could be. With all his work, it was hard to find time for Gabrielle and his newborn daughter, and when he finally had time, it was usually during the night.

 He did not want to go to sleep, not ever. His head hurt and his dreams were troubled, making it all but impossible to find rest. Drinking was good for that. It made him drowsy and it made him happy.

 “Joanne!” Gabrielle called and the wet-nurse came rushing in. “Joanne, please take Elizabeth.”

 With the baby off her hands, Gabrielle led the way into their solar. Here, she turned around and stared at him. “We need to announce our marriage soon.”

 “I thought you wanted it to be a secret,” Raymond protested.

 “But now I have a daughter. Do you want Elizabeth to be your bastard? Bastard boys might become squires and knights, but girls don’t have the same opportunity.”

 “You know I don’t want that,” he muttered.

 “So you just don’t want me as your wife?” Her look was of steel.

 “You have to be joking.” There was no joke in either of their voices.

 “I’m not,” she told him. “Why would you? I’m a dishonoured lady. Perhaps my name is good enough, but my status is not. Besides, you’re a prince with any girl for your taking. Why would you want to officialise our wedding?”