Chapter 27

WARNING: non-explicit sexual stuff at the end of the chapter. Tip to avoid it: stop reading when they kiss.

Adrianne

In the days after her miscarriages, Adrianne preferred to attend court beside her husband. No one truly expected her to listen and no matter what, she would not have to answer to anything. Other days, she would do embroideries or listen to concerts and claim that she was so intrigued by the music that she did not want to speak.

It had been a week since her miscarriage when her father had suddenly arrived. Not that there was anything extraordinary about that; he was a member of the King’s Council and as such, his presence at court was sometimes necessary. But that day, he had brought his family and a large part of his household with him.

“It was me who asked him to do it,” Alex said when she met him on the sunlit balcony of his chambers after her father had told her he wished to see her. To her surprise, he whispered an emotional, “Oh, sister,” and hugged her tightly.

Surprised at his actions, she pushed him away. Ever since she had become a woman, it had become off limits for them to touch and hug as much as they had as children. Sadly, they had grown a little apart in the past few years that she had spent at court. “What is it, brother?”

“Thomas sent me a letter,” he explained and Adrianne’s eyes widened in shock. It couldn’t be… “You miscarried,” he stated, his voice soft and sympathetic.

“I told him not to tell…”

“Yes, and I have told no one else,” he said reassuringly. “Don’t worry, sis, your secret will be safe with me.”

“How many has he told?” For some reason, she felt an utter relief that her brother knew. She could trust him. She knew she could.

“Just me.” She let out a sigh and he drew her into a tight hug. To her surprise, a tear trickled down her cheek. She usually did not cry after her miscarriages, or at least very rarely. “I’m so sorry, Addie…”

At his use of her childhood nickname, her shoulders shook in a sob. Quickly, she drew back. “Thank you.” Her eyes were on the ground between their feet while she dried her eyes.

“Would you like me to tell someone else?” She shook her head. She could not think of anyone she could trust with her secret. “Miriam is here,” he continued.

It seemed to her that a tight knot in her chest was released. “She is?”

Her brother smiled. “Yes. Do you want me to find her for you?”

“Please,” Adrianne asked, breathless. She had not seen the handmaiden who had practically raised her, the woman who was far more like a mother to her than her real mother, for two full years.

With a warm smile and a kiss placed on her forehead, which reminded her that she may very well be the Queen of Etheron, but he was still her beloved older brother and he vowed to protect her a thousand times during their childhood together, even before she became queen, he left.

While she waited, she walked to the fence of the balcony. She placed her hands on the gravelly stone and sighed, her eyes closing. It was in the beginning of the fall, but the sun still shone strongly, and the birds chirped like there was no tomorrow. For a moment, she felt at peace.

“Your Grace?”

At the sound of Miriam’s voice, she twisted around so quickly that her skirts stood out around her. She could not help the wide smile that split her face; she’d forgotten how strange her pronunciation was. It was like hearing a childhood lullaby that had been forgotten over the years.