Chapter 26

Raymond

Raymond awoke earlier than Gabrielle, as he did every morning. For a moment, he lay staring at her sleeping form. It was not every night that they spent together, in spite of being lawfully wedded. Raymond’s mother would never allow that her son, even if it was just the second son, married the disgraced daughter of lord Travis, especially not when she was his third daughter and the third daughter to receive heritance.

“Raymond?” she muttered, her eyes fluttering open when he rolled out of bed. “You’re leaving already?”

“I have to,” he whispered back, not wanting to wake her up any more than her already had. “Go back to sleep.”

She let out a vague ‘mhmm’, and then her eyes closed and her breathing grew heavy. Raymond called for his manservant and got dressed. He wore the golden chain of the King’s Council across his shoulders and chest.

“If that would be all, my lord?”

Raymond nodded and the servant left as quietly as he had arrived. The sun had barely risen when he emerged from his room and the air in the hallway was crisp and clean and full of morning dew. In the gardens, birds chirped loudly.

Almost no one had awoken this early; the only ones he met were Servants of the gods and servants of the court, making ready for another day to begin. Apart from those, the only people awake were the councillors who had been called for a meeting in the open council room.

Lucretia, the Queen Dowager, was present, as was the Queen. Raphael, Thomas, Jonathan and the rest of the King’s Council sat around the table as well, wearing their chains of service. As he entered, Edward Delroy arrived.

Once everyone was seated, the Queen smiled one of her charming smiles. “My lords councillors,” she said, “it has been brought to my attention, by my husband, his Grace, and by many others, that there is a need for change.” She had known this for a long time, of course, but only now was an official statement needed. “The common people are growing agitated. The past two winters have been harsh and the summers too dry and too rainy in turn.

“Sir Thomas, Head of the Royal Bank, reports that we have not received such a low amount of taxes in many years, and that in spite of that our debts are at an all-time high. Individually, it seems that we have been unable to find a solution to this issue, which will serve as rightful to all. What I propose is that we work together, to find a solution that we will all benefit from.”

Several of the lords shifted uncomfortably in their seats. Understandable, since most of them were being given a responsibility that had belonged to only two men only until this day.

“As most of you know, Henri Lamarck will be arriving later today to discuss the finances with me and a few others,” Thomas said. The Head of Foreign Affairs was the only council member who did not live at court. His position required that he had his household in Tibera, close to the main connection to other countries.

Whispers erupted amongst some of the council members. “And we all wonder who these selected few will be,” Sir Tristan, Head of Security, said sarcastically.

“Whatever do you mean?” Thomas’ voice was not humourless.

“I mean that, since you are probably going to be the one to pick what council members go with you to that meeting.”

The rest of the council exchanged worried glances while Thomas answered, in a surprisingly levelled voice, “Yes, I will, since I arranged the meeting.”

“Why not bring in all the council members?”

“Why not, indeed? Why not waste all of yours day on a meeting, which could be held between three or four people?” Chuckling, Thomas shook his head. “It is not as if we are about to make a final conclusion.”