Chapter 13

Thomas

“So you fear the people?” Asha asked. The small, dark girl had proved to be a nice distraction from his accounting and worrying the past few days. Sometimes, she would sit silently in her corner of his office and watch him work, but most of the time, she could not keep her mouth closed. He had just spent a good part of the past hour explaining the importance of pleasing the people.

He shrugged at her question. “Some do, some do not. But everyone should. A country is nothing without its people, and a King is nothing without his country.” He began collecting some of the papers he had been working on. “But now, I have to go. I am to meet with the council within the hour.”

Asha quickly stood up and followed him out of the room. He locked the door after him before walking with her down the hallway. They were heading the same way and he found it rather pleasant to walk beside her; she wasn’t that tall.

Raymond and Thomas had already spoken to Martin, the Head Servant and he had agreed with them. Of course, his was the second branch of the house Lamarck. He did not call himself by a last name any longer, not after becoming a Servant, yet his brother was still a Lamarck, and still a lord in the East. There were certain ties that not even faith could sever.

After Thomas had left Asha at the room he had given her in his quarters, he walked to the living room in Sir Edward Delroy’s apartments. It was a bright room, with light spilling in from several wide windows. There was a view to the streets of the capital. In the middle of the room, a round table had been place.

Raymond was already there, as was Jonathan and Martin. The rest of the council soon spilled in, with the exception of the King himself. They all wore the thick, golden chain around their neck, which suggested they work for the Council.

Henri Lamarck seated himself beside Edward; even if there wasn’t a table end, the way Henri carried himself made it seem like he was sitting at one anyway. Thomas made sure to place himself opposite of him.

Once everyone was seated, Henri spoke. “What is this? A conjugation of the Council without the King?”

Thomas sighed, but let Raymond do the talking. “We know how this might seem, my lord, but it is for the good of the people.”

“That is how much treason begins,” Henri said, and some men nodded approvingly. Thomas hadn’t expected the lord of Tibera to be on their side. He was honourable to a fault and loyal to his old friend’s firstborn.

“This is just a meeting,” Thomas objected slowly. He knew that Henri did not like him – it seemed he had already disliked him before they met. “As the Head of the Royal Bank, it is my duty to keep an eye on the balance in the Crown’s consumption of money. After these many feasts, the vaults are emptying, and Jonathan has informed me that the people have begun to notice. With winter so close...”

“I shall gladly lend you the money.”

Thomas sighed once more, looking at the older man. Even with his hair thinning, you could see where the Queen and her brother got their thick, blonde hair from. “The Crown is already indebted to you, my lord.”

“My daughter is married to the King. It is my duty, as a father and a lord serving beneath him, to support the Crown when it is in need.”

For a second, Jonathan and Thomas looked at each other. It would certainly solve all Thomas’ problems to just get some more money. Jonathan cleared his throat. “That would solve the economical problems, and I am sure the King would be grateful for such support, yet I fear the money would not reach the people in time."

“In time for what?” Sir Tristan Kent cut in. He was a young man, barely twenty years of age, yet he had already earned the title of Head of the Royal Arms. It was not without reason; he was a skilful swordsman, but when it came to organization and planning, he was amongst the best in the kingdom.