Chapter 5 - Need You Now

Bath time was always Niall’s favorite. He got to sit in nice water and play with the toys Zayn got him. The water made Niall not feel so bad after scary night in his dad’s room or rough days at school. Zayn took him into the bathroom and smiled lovingly at Niall, letting him undress while he ran the water, making sure the temperature was just perfect. Then he helped his brother into the tub, eyeing his pale almost translucent skin that was soiled with mac and cheese a bit. Once Niall sunk into the water a smile spread onto his face and he look up to Zayn with a giggle and a hiccup.

            “Come in, Zayn,” Niall smiled, trying to grab some of the water and throw it on his counterpart. Zayn shook his head though, sitting on the toilet seat a good distance from the tub and watching from afar.

            “I took a shower earlier, charming,”

            “But your hands got dirty like me,” Niall said, “So you need a bath stinky boy,” He laughed gleefully and let out a shrill yelp out of pure joy, splashing water onto Zayn again.

            Zayn let out a light chuckle, “Niall, not today,”

            Niall’s face stopped being so happy now. He didn’t like it when Zayn said no to him. It wasn’t fair. Why wouldn’t Zayn get in the bath with him, “But…Zayn,” Niall pouted, tears filling his eyes.

            Zayn’s heart broke, and he hopped forward, landing on his knees at the side of the tub and soothing Niall, running his hands through his hair and gently stroking his face and chest, trying to calm him down. If there was one thing that Zayn hated in the world other than his dad, it was watching Niall cry. Because Niall was beautiful and pure, and he should never see misery or have a need to cry. He should always be happy and okay and looking into his future like it’s something amazing.

            “Shh,” Zayn cooed, “Maybe another time,”

            “You always say no,” Niall pointed out.

            It was true. Zayn always declined Niall of bathing with him. But what could Zayn do? He was practically in love with his brother. And really, it shouldn’t feel this right or this okay,  but it did. And he wasn’t sure why he sometimes dreamed of Niall’s lips against his own. In fact, he hated himself for those dreams. Zayn hated thinking about taking Niall’s innocents, or at least, what was left of it.

            “How about I give you something else instead?” Zayn said. And shit, did he really just say that. There was a terrible idea brewing in the front of his mind and he hated what was happening. His palms got sweaty and he leaned closer to Niall, staring at his lips. Was he really going to do this? Was he really going to kiss him? Niall smiled at him and leaned in too, following Zayn’s lead. He trusted Zayn.

            At the last second, Zayn pulled away, a pain hitting him in the chest.

            “Z-Z-Zayn!” Niall began to sob, confused. Had he done something wrong. Zayn growled—mostly at himself—and turned around, soothing his baby again.