Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Song: Amazing by Hedley

~~~

"Here comes the airplane" I said to Gabe, whirling the spoon full of ice cream in front of him. His eyes traced the patterns I was making in the air, a mischievous look on his face that showed me he was about to grab the food right off the spoon. And like I expected he did. 

He did this for every spoonful until the bowl of ice cream we were sharing was scraped empty. I don't really know why he wanted me to feed him; he was perfectly capable of doing that on his own. But I liked it, and I of course agreed.

Ever since Liz left for rehab six days ago, Gabe has gotten so much more...clingy. Not that I mind it, not at all. I think it's nice that he's becoming attached to me, and that he's starting to like me.

Over the past days we have gotten past so many father-son milestones, if I were to call them that. He called me by my name, instead of those crude names he did before, which I had no idea where he learnt from. He had been letting me in his room. He's been listening to me. He's accepted me as his mom's boyfriend. He's becoming fond of being around me. He wants to do things with me, and wants to spend time with me. And I absolutely love it.

Even when we go see Liz during lunch at the facility, he has me feed him. Sure he sits on Liz's lap and talks to her more. But he shows me affection and I'm glad that he does. 

It has been quite hard for him to deal with his mom leaving again, even if it was just for a couple days and mandatory, he told me he wants me there, that he doesn't want me to leave. I think it's really sweet that he's been doing that. 

A phone ringing interrupted my thoughts, as I scrambled to pick it up. It was of course Liz's facility telling us that she'll be home in about an hour. She was coming back today and Gabe and I haven't stopped bouncing off the walls. And this new information got us overly excited, and Gabe started jumping on the bed excitedly. The sugar rush he was getting from that ice cream we just finished wasn't helping. 

"Harry! Harry! Mommy's coming home!" He repeated jumping on the bed and then straight into my lap, landing with an "oomph". This kid was way too cute for his own good, or mine. "Can we make a cake for mommy?" He asked sweetly, looking up at me. 

"Sure buddy" I answered, ruffling his hair. "How about we make her a whole dinner? Huh? Do you think she'd like that?" I continued. 

He erupted in a gasp and bounced up and down nodding his head violently. "Mommy going to be happy when she sees what I made" He told me. 

He got up off my lap, and on to the floor. Grabbing my hand, he dragged me immediately to the kitchen, and into the pantry. He yanked two aprons down, and handed me the green one, and himself the blue. "Look! It matched your eyes!" He giggled.

"Well yours matches your eyes" I said sticking my tongue out at him playfully. I slipped the apron over my neck, tying it around my back, and looked to see in Gabe needed help with his. But he had his on, and tied. Although it was awfully big for him, falling fall over his feet, but he looked like he couldn't care any less.

Gabe dragged a chain over to the counter from the kitchen table, getting up on it, seeing as he was too short to reach on his own. "What do you want to make for mommy?" I asked tapping his nose teasingly.

"Ummm...Spaghetti! Mommy's favourite!" He replied loudly after a bit of thought. Taking his instructions, seeing as he put himself in charge, I grabbed the noodles, and the other necessary ingredients out of the pantry.

We got to work, boiling the noodles, making the sauce. And he knew exactly what he was doing. He placed the noodles in the pot, and once they were done, took the job of placing them on the plate. I finished off the plates, putting the sauce and the meatballs on it. And all by himself, he took all three plates to the dining room and set up. This kid was trained for this stuff, and he looked way too adorable doing it.