Chapter 28 - Deal Breaker

I managed to balance the next week or so almost evenly between Alastair and Maisie, managing to spend time with them each, and sometimes both at the same time. Somehow, Maisie and I were able to wipe away the last of our conflicts. I guess that was how our friendship was. We knew how important it was to forgive, especially when our days were numbered.

It was also nice to have a break from hanging out in big groups. Our hang outs at the beach were delayed each time, from reasons ranging from bad weather to too many people being away. But, I knew it was masking conflicts, those emanating from the breakup of Dan and Maisie and the tension between Logan and me. I mean, Logan was such a huge influence that I wouldn't be surprised if he was hindering a meet up to simply avoid me.

For a while I thought that I was the one avoiding the beach, but when I was forced to walk along it on the way to a morning shift at Cherry-On-Top, due to a parade along the esplanade, I realised it might be both of us staying away from our mutual peaceful place.

I was wiping the counter one afternoon as Mallory removed the signs from the street in front of the ice-cream parlour. Susan was already beginning to cut our opening hours because of the diminishing tourist population in Sandy Cove. I was thinking about calling Alastair to ask if he wanted to grab dinner, when coincidentally he entered the empty shop.

"Hey there," I greeted, my eyes travelling upwards to take him in. Over the summer, he'd even managed to catch a bronze tan, his smile a little brighter than usual.

"Hi. I was just nearby, you know, in the neighbourhood," he joked. He stretched upwards, casting a glance towards Mallory outside of the window, folding a sign up and talking politely to a passing couple. "Why are you closing so early?"

"Sure you were. There's not much point staying open any later. The towns getting quiet again."

"Right."

"Sandy Cove is pretty empty, you know. If you thought it was dead this summer, you should see it on a regular winter's day."

"I don't doubt it. Especially when the only entertainment around here is you guys," he mocked.

I rolled my eyes dramatically. "Sorry we were such a toll on your wellbeing."

He gave me a look he'd been giving me a lot lately. It was pensive, almost curious and hesitant at the same time. It made me feel like I'd said something wrong, but I could never work out what exactly it was. Maybe it was just something he saw in me, or something he thought about that made us stop mid-conversation, or made one of us change the subject promptly.

"Father booked our flights," he said after a moment. To anyone else, it was probably hard to notice that our conversation had even missed a beat in the first place.

The other awkward conversation point between us was leaving. "Really, for when?"

"A week from today."

My eyes travelled down to my hands again where I realised I'd stopped wiping.

"Don't look so meek," Alastair chuckled lightly, but I knew him well enough to know he was a little rattled too. Maybe it was because, as much as I tried not to make a big deal about it, he knew I would be sad that he was leaving. And if his feelings were still there, then that was probably hurtful. "It's only three days before you fly out anyway."