Chapter Three - "Little Plains Road, Off Memory Lane"

Sarah

I woke up in an alternate universe.

The sun was streaming in through a gilt-framed window, there was a snow-covered oak tree right outside, and I could faintly hear the sound of chirping birds. I was lying in the softest sheets, and for the life of me, I couldn’t remember what day, month or year it was.

A knock on the door broke into my thoughts, “Sarah? Honey, are you up?”

Hearing my dad’s voice brought everything right back.

Chloe.

My trip back home.

Guzzling back glass after glass of bourbon with my dad.

My dad. The man I hadn’t seen for the past five years. I felt a pang in my chest. It had to be a dream of some kind.

“Yeah, come in,” I called back, sitting up.

He beamed at me as he walked in holding a tray of more food than it could hold, “Good morning.”

I felt my chest clench tightly. Five years. How could I have been so stubborn?

“Morning,” I breathed, unable to hold back my smile. He was standing right there. I’d been dreaming of this day for so long, and here it was. I wasn’t sure how to contain my joy and regret.

“Breakfast,” he said, placing it on the bed.

Eggs, bacon, sausages, chocolate spread, waffles, croissants, yoghurt, oat clusters; I had a toothache simply looking at the tray. It was a wonder everything even fit.

He beamed at me, “I know. It’s a little over the top. Color me excited.”

I looked up at him; he looked the same as he had five years ago, except for a couple new grey hairs, and he was leaner than before, but everything else was exactly the same, as if time hadn’t moved.

“Thank you. This is really great,” I said, pulling the tray onto my legs.

“Now, I wasn’t sure what kind of clothes you like, but Jerry’s asked Estelle to bring a couple things from Bergdorf’s and I’ve got Betty raiding other stores. They should be here in another hour or so,” he said, his beam unwavering.

“Estelle? You still use her?” I asked. She’d been our personal shopper at Bergdorf’s since I was a teenager, and since I barely went there anymore – all the shopping I did was online – I didn’t even know if she still worked there.

“Of course. She’s practically family now,” he said with a chuckle.

I stopped chewing on my croissant. He wasn’t saying it to make me feel guilty, but I still felt terrible. All my life, I’d turn around and whenever I really needed him, my dad would be right there. Somehow, I’d forgotten about the importance of family and abandoned the only ones I had – him and Jerry. I could only imagine what my mother would think of me.

“Sarah?”

I looked up, blinking back tears.

“I was asking if you’d like to come to the club later this afternoon. If you’re . . . I don’t know if you’re still going to be here,” he said, his expression of worry and anticipation breaking my heart.

“Where would I go?” I croaked.

Estelle did do a great job of picking out an outfit, as always. And Betty, whoever she was, didn’t do so bad either. I got a lovely mauve chiffon blouse, black high-waist riding pants, and some unbelievably stunning Louboutins.