Chapter Seventeen - "Later"

Sarah

I felt my heart in my mouth as her scream rang out loud. Jake and Fowler rushed out of the interrogation room, wide-eyed and confused. I barely heard a single thing they were saying to me. My heart was pounding virulently.

Was it something I said?

Was it the man in the distance?

Was it internal?

Was it normal?

I was so panicked; it took me a while to act. I grabbed her arms and pulled her into the empty interrogation room behind me, as the entire floor’s eyes followed us.

“Chloe?” I called, sitting her in a chair. She stopped screaming, but she wouldn’t open her eyes as she held her palms to them.

“What happened?” Jake asked, from behind me.

“I have no idea,” I breathed, my heart racing.

Fowler popped his head in, “Is everything okay?” he asked, concern etched across his face. A look I couldn’t have ever pictured on his face.

“No. Can you guys excuse us for a second?” I asked, realizing that the extra presences might not be helping much. Jake nodded and followed Fowler out the door.

“Chloe, what’s wrong?” I asked, crouching in front of her.

She didn’t move an inch. At some point, I began to wonder if she might even be breathing.

“Chloe?” I called, putting an arm on hers, trying to pull her hand off her face, but she flinched.

“Sorry,” she said, almost inaudible.

“Was it something I said?” I asked.

She shook her head.

“Are you in pain?”

She shook her head again, her hands still over her eyes.

“What’s wrong?”

She took her hands off her eyes and slowly looked at me. She swallowed, “It’s fine. I’m fine,” she croaked.

I stared warily at her, “No. No, you’re not. Tell me.”

She looked terrified, as she avoided my gaze, but said nothing. I had no idea how to get through to a person I barely knew, especially one with whom I had a deeper connection, but I had an idea of someone who might.

I got up and started to head for the door, but she grabbed my hand, wide-eyed, “Please don’t leave me here.”

I nodded, “Okay. Come on.”

She was hesitant at first, but then stood up and walked on after me. The room had emptied out a little, but everyone who had been there five minutes ago, had their gaze trained on us.

I walked over to Devon’s desk, “Hey.”

He glanced at Chloe and then back at me as if to say, ‘what’s up with that?’ “I need you to do me a favor. Please.”

“What?”

“You know my client, from last night, can you let him out? Five minutes, I promise.”

He looked over to check that Addison’s office was empty and then he nodded, “One second.”

Chloe was standing frozen behind me, staring hard at the ground. I looked around to see what might have set her off. Was it the guy? He was nowhere to be seen right now, so I couldn’t tell.