Chapter Five - "Personal Justice"

Addison

I had never been more frustrated by anyone in my life.

I had the congressman Travis Guthrie and his fellow politicians breathing down my neck, and it was all thanks to one Sarah Parks.

The thing is: I’d found out where she was months ago – 78 Bergenline Avenue, Apartment 209, Hudson County, New Jersey. But I was holding off. It wasn’t really that hard to track her down; once I knew she was in New Jersey – thanks to Travis Guthrie’s unintentional lead – it was all a piece of cake from there. However, I was holding off on bringing her in, not because I liked her or anything; as much as I couldn’t stand Sarah Parks, I despised the FBI even more. Sarah, with Jake’s help, I imagined, was making headway with the case, and I figured, once she got far enough, I’d bring her in, and then take all the credit.

Harsh, I know. But I really couldn’t care less.

Devon Jones, one of the junior detectives walked in at the moment when these thoughts were running through my mind.

“Hey Boss. We just finished questioning another suspect in the Fifth Avenue robberies. No luck,” he said.

I refrained from rolling my eyes. I’ve always been a highly impatient person, which is why I stayed away from interrogating suspects. If I did, I’d have made him talk, and then I’d have lost my badge in the process.

“Fine. Keep him in lockup; we’ll find something,” I replied.

“And . . . did you want me on Detective Parks’s house tonight? Or Finchley’s?” he asked.

This time I didn’t refrain from rolling my eyes. I knew they’d been helping Sarah – they being all the junior detectives. And the fact that they assumed I had no idea was a complete insult.

“Neither. She’s clearly not going to either of those places. Tomorrow, I’d like you to start looking at all the traffic cameras in New Jersey.” It was simple test, and I also wanted to know how many people I was going to be firing.

He kept his calm expression and left the office.

I missed Jake. So much. Not in an emotionally attached manner, but rather in a physical manner. Ever since our last time together, I’d literally been aching, and it seemed that he was the only one who could rid me of those aches.

I knew he was working with Sarah, but there was no way I could fire him. Yes, it was unethical to form a personal relationship with my subordinate, and yes, it was even worse to neglect his participation in Sarah’s wrongdoings, but honestly, I didn’t feel bad.

There are good people in this world, and there are bad. In my case, I was not completely a bad person, but I wasn’t a particularly good one either, and it really didn’t bother me.

My office phone rang, and I picked up, dreading the other end of the line.

“Captain Torres speaking,” I said.

“Good evening, Captain. This is Agent Fowler of the FBI.”

I groaned internally.

“Agent Fowler. Good evening.”

“We just got a call on our radar; your agents are still interfering with this Mary Santiago case, despite my previous warning. Could you please ensure that they are indeed aware that this is an FBI-only case? If we need your help, we’ll ask for it,” he said curtly.

I’d neglected to mention anything about Jake or Sarah, purposely, to prevent the FBI from getting to either of them first. I won’t deny that they were good detectives, so informally using them was the smartest move.