1 - Baby, It's Cold Outside

It wasn't until the next day Niall caught Harry following him.

Work today had dragged on for Niall Horan. He worked two part time jobs, a waiter and singer at the local coffee shop. The latter of the two wasn't too bad as it allowed Niall to do what he loved but it was still work. He didn't get paid well either, yet luckily it was always enough to pay his bills on time and keep his fridge somewhat stocked.

The Irishman had just finished playing an acoustic set at the coffee shop as usual. The folks had grown to know him and the regulars always tipped him generously.

The sky was dark and the streets were empty as Niall made the long trek from the coffee shop all the way home with guitar in hand. The only sound was those of his footsteps. He walked by these sketchy buildings all the time but tonight he got a funny feeling, the feeling of being followed.

Of course he didn't want to psyche himself out in case it was nothing but sometimes your mind runs wild.

His mind tried to focus on the busy week ahead of him. There was grocery shopping to be done. He had to do laundry. He also needed to buy new strings for his guitar.

The boy sighed. Why did everything revolve around money? And why did he have to be one of those unfortunate few that has to bust him hump in order to make just enough to live?

But he was doing it. He's living on his own although his parents to send him a few pounds when times get a little too rough much to his disappointment. He doesn't like being burden much less bothering people to help him.

It's something Niall can't do. He doesn't like asking people to do things. He's a people pleaser and he knows this too well.

Niall put his iPod earphones in, choosing to listen to some Kings of Leon track and walked briskly, hugging his jacket around himself tighter. The cold nipped at his cheeks. He could tell it'd be snowing very soon.

It wasn't until he heard an unmistakable sneeze.

He whipped around quick to catch the culprit who hid quickly behind a tin trash can.

Niall stood there, uncertain. He didn't get a good look at his follower but his curiosity was getting the better of him. He slipped the earphones off and stuffed them in his pocket before walking over to the dumpster cautiously, ready to attack if necessary.

Behind the dumpster was a boy with his back pressed against the brick wall, not too young, maybe even his age. He wore dark jeans, white converse that were too dirty to be considered white, and a thin hoodie that couldn't be keeping him warm.

The boy peeked up at Niall with big green eyes and a tangle of dark curls. He was quite gorgeous with his creamy skin and cranberry pink lips but he looked at Niall with unashamed curiosity along with some other emotion he couldn't place.

A gust of wind blush, giving Niall a little push as if mother nature was telling him to shove off.

But it was too cold and late out for someone like this strange boy to be out alone.

"Are you out here by yourself?" Niall asked, glancing around the empty street.

The boy's brow furrowed.

"It's gonna be raining soon and then snowing..." Niall tried to warn the boy.

A pair of little gray triangles rose up on the boy's head and Niall's mouth popped open. He'd seen hybrids once or twice but never close up.

Cat hybrids were all the rage, if you could afford one that is. They say they're great companions but their cat-traits make them hard to cope with at times. Still, everyone wants a cat hybrid more than they'd like an IPad although they're quadruple the price.