2 - Somewhere I Belong

One week passes.

It's a week full of Harry following Niall wherever he goes whether it's to work or to visit a friend. Niall doesn't mind in the slightest. It's pleasant to have a companion and Harry was perfect. He wasn't overly chatty but he wasn't too reserved either.

Niall is unusually silent when they're walking back home hand-in-hand from meeting Niall's old mate Liam.

"What's wrong Niall?" Harry asks when they're near home.

The brunette had known Niall was upset about something the moment he saw Niall sort of deflate the minute they left Liam's flat. The blonde's shoulders slumped a bit and his normally lively blue eyes were distant.

"Nothing...it's stupid." Niall chuckled dryly.

"Tell me." Harry urged, nudging Niall's shoulder with his forehead.

"It's just hard to see my mates sometimes." Niall said almost too quietly to catch.

"Why?"

"Because they're all in school and I'm not. And-" Niall sighs in exasperation, "maybe I would be if I could afford it."

"I need to show you something." Harry pulled Niall towards home even faster.

They reach their and Harry goes straight for his satchel rummaging through it while his ears twitch anxiously.

"Whussit, love?" Niall asks tiredly.

On the bottom of Harry's bag is a porcelain piggy bank that is as big as a shoebox. And it makes Niall's heart swell so much that his eyes turn glassy with tears.

"No, love, I can't." Niall shakes his head.

"Please?" Harry pleads as he gets up and makes himself smaller to tuck himself around Niall. "I want you to have it."

"Save it. I'm okay. We're okay." The blonde says, his throat scratchy from preventing tears.

Niall knew it wasn't true. His bills were piling up and his hours at the restaurant were being cut back which is one of the worst things that could happen when you're living paycheck to paycheck.

Harry picked up his piggy and took Niall's hand pulling him to the kitchen.

The brunette set the piggy bank on the kitchen counter and looked under Niall's kitchen sink pulling out a hammer.

"Harry!"

But it was too late. The boy smashed the ceramic bauble and instead of change and coins falling out, it was crisp hundred dollar bills. Niall's eyes widened.

"I-I don't understand. How'd you get all this?" Niall questioned, flustered as he'd never seen so much money in his entire life.

"When I was good I got money for my piggy. Not that I knew what to do with it so I saved it."

"There's so much though! I can't even-" Niall shook his head, feeling slightly dizzy.

"I've been saving for years. There's got to be thousands in there."

"Here's what we're gonna do. We're gonna open you up a bank account and-"

"No! I want you to have it. I don't want it. I just want you to be happy." Harry pulled the lad against his chest and burrowed his face in the blonde's hair.

He didn't care about money or material things. What matters is making sure that Niall is always smiling.

During his short while of being there Niall hasn't asked much of him. In fact, he doesn't ask anything of Harry even though the green-eyed boy can see him struggling, can see him come home with a face that looks so much more aged than he is but it turns into a beautiful smile when he sees Harry waiting faithfully by the front door. It isn't fair that Niall is so young and full of life but has to live this way.