Chapter 1

Jade walked past Tori's locker, than frowned and turned back. She looked around making sure that no one was around, then walked over to Tori's locker and sniffed. Jade's frown deepened and she leaned in to take another sniff. She took a step back, confused. There was no mistaking that smell-it was that of an unchanged Alpha. But Tori's family wasn't part of any pack, and Tori clearly hadn't been bitten by an Alpha. Though, now that Jade thought about it, Tori had said something about being attacked by a group of stray dogs last month. Jade hadn't really paid attention to it, but now she realized that she probably should have.

Jade pulled out her pearphone and checked the lunar cycle. She didn't usually worry about the moon, since all nights were pretty much the same to her. But she needed to check today. She let out a sigh. Tonight was the first night of the full moon. That left her with two options. Jade could let Tori transform by herself, or she could help Tori out. It didn't take her long to make the choice. She might not be fond of Tori, but Jade wasn't an asshole. She wasn't going to just let Tori transform in the Vega house and slaughter everyone who came near. Despite what most Hunters claimed, Jade's status as a vampire didn't make her evil.

Fifteen minutes later

"Jade? What are you doing here?" Tori asked in confusion, opening the door to her house.

"Tell your parents you're going to be staying the night at my house." Jade said. Tori frowned.

"What? Why?" She asked.

"I need you." Jade said simply. Tori nodded.

"Ok, come inside." She told her, beckoning her in. "It'll just take a minute." Jade nodded and stepped inside, rocking back and forth on her heels impatiently. Time was of the essence here, largely because Jade hadn't been attentive enough to notice the scent until she was leaving from a practice for one of Sikowitz's plays at six o'clock. She needed to get Tori out of the Vega house and into her basement as soon as possible. "Alright, my mom says it's okay so long as I come home before midnight tomorrow.

"We'll see." Jade said, grabbing Tori by the wrist and dragging her out of the house. Tori frowned. Jade had come to her for help before, but this was different. She didn't seem sad, angry, or even worried. She actually seemed...scared.

"What's wrong Jade?" Tori asked as they got into Jade's car.

"Not now Vega." Jade growled, starting the car and speeding down the street. When they arrived at Jade's house, Jade pulled into the garage, turned off the car, then turned around and opened a duffel bag in the back seat.

"What's that smell?" Tori asked, frowning and trying to see what Jade was doing. Jade pulled out a Ziploc bag, then opened it and pulled out the white rag inside it.

"Chloroform." Jade told her, pressing the rag into her face. Tori struggled for a few seconds, but then quickly passed out. Jade chuckled, then closed the garage door and got out, slinging Tori's unconscious body over her shoulder and entering the house.

Twenty minutes later

Tori woke up and looked around in confusion, still somewhat groggy. "Good, you're awake." Jade said, hopping off of the table she'd been sitting on. "That it'll make it easier, you people handle the first time much better when you know what's going on."

"What did you do to me?" Tori demanded, standing up.

"I chloroformed you." Jade said with a shrug, completely unapologetic.

"You what?" Tori yelled, trying to move forward only to be stopped. She turned around and looked down, and was horrified to see that Jade had locked several long chains to her wrists and ankles, which were in turn bolted to the wall, preventing Tori from moving very far. "Why are you doing this?" She demanded. Jade walked over and ignored the question, instead pulling down both sleeves of her sweater.