Chapter 16

"I hate portal travel." Jade growled, stumbling forward. Joan shot her arm out, grabbing the back of Jade's shirt to keep her from falling over.

"I thought vampires were supposed to be graceful." Joan remarked with a smile. Jade glared at her.

"We are." She growled. "But we're not meant to be deconstructed atom by atom and sent somewhere else to be reconstructed. We're too tough for that." Joan raised an eyebrow.

"You're too tough to teleport? How does that work?" She asked skeptically.

"Have you ever tried to cut a vampire with something that wasn't designed to cut us, or that wasn't magical? It's not easy. We're built as strong as marble, and that's not something that's easy to take apart. The only people I've seen kill a vampire with non-magical blades are Logan, and Angela." Jade said defensively. She stopped and frowned, thinking. "Wait a minute. How come you didn't recruit Angela? I mean, I get not grabbing Freddy and Chucky, they're both evil bastards, but you recruited Jason."

"Jason orders King Samhain a debt." Joan said quickly, shrugging. Jade raised an eyebrow.

"And you seriously expect me to believe that Angela hasn't racked up any sort of magical debt herself?" Joan blushed slightly.

"She was already here, so I didn't have to go grab her." She admitted. Jade frowned.

"Wait, why was she already here?" Joan gave Jade a sheepish smile and Jade's eyes widened.

"You and Angela? You, the Maid of Orleans, the Warrior Saint, are dating Angela freaking Baker, the Angel of Death?" She asked, incredulous.

"I don't get why you're so weirded out by that." Joan said, walking down the hall, heading for the meeting room. "I dated you for a while, and you're a vampire."

"The difference is that I only kill people to survive or in self-defense. Angela kills people for annoying her, or just for fun." Jade reminded her, following the other girl.

"She hasn't done that since we started dating." Joan said, pushing open the door. Jade decided to drop the issue, walking past Joan towards the table. Gathered around the table was a group that most people would only expect to see together in fanart. Though admittedly, she doubted that anyone would ever have included Brenda Ann Spencer in that group. Samurai Jack and Link were comparing their swords and talking about previous battles; Kayley was sitting between Jason Voorhees and Wolverine, and giving them both uncomfortable looks. Jason just sat there in silence, while Tank Girl was sitting on the other side of Wolverine, both of them talking about the wars they'd fought in and smoking cigars, with Lori arguing over the superiority of the tank even when compared to Wolverine's claws. Angela Baker was being questioned by Sherlock Holmes, who was asking her about the tricks she used to evade the police. Merlin was also questioning someone-Darth Vader. He wanted to know how Vader kept his mechanical body parts running without anybody's help and why he hadn't switched to magic. And Peter Pan was sitting on Brenda Ann Spencer's lap, trying to pull the joint out of the immortal psychopath's lips.

"Put it out Brenda." Joan ordered as she walked past, heading for the set of doors in the opposite half of the room. Brenda sighed and crushed it in the palm of her hand.

"Show off." Peter said, rolling her eyes.

"Look who's talking." Jade said, sitting down between Sherlock and Brenda.

"Miss West." Sherlock said, nodding at her.

"Sherlock." Jade said, nodding back.

"Hi Jade." Angela said brightly, smiling at her.

"Hey Angela. Has he asked you about the secrets of Jack the Ripper yet?" Jade asked.

"Why would I do that?" Sherlock asked, looking at the two young women, confused.

"Because she was Jack the Ripper." Jade said, grinning at the surprise that flashed across the great detective's face.

"You were?" He asked, turning to face Angela.

"Yeah." Angela admitted. "I used the name Jack to give myself extra protection, and everything spiraled out from there." Before Sherlock could question her further however, Joan reentered the room.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, if I may have your attention please!" She called out. Everyone immediately stopped talking and turned to look towards her. "May I present your host, the leader of this army, King Samhain of the Autumn Court." She said, opening the door. There was a moment of silence, and then King Samhain walked in. Jade fought back the urge to laugh that she always felt when she saw Samhain. He was a dead ringer for Tim Curry, even though he was currently wearing a full set of black plate armor.

"Good evening." Samhain said, sitting down. Jade gave a small smile. He even sounded like Tim Curry. "I assume you all know why I've called you here?" Everyone nodded. "Good, that'll save time. And Jade, I do not merely sound and look like Tim Curry. Tim Curry is the disguise I wear when I go among the humans."

"Well, that certainly explains a lot." Kayley said, her eyes wide.

"Mmm, quite." He said, grinning. "Now then, to business. This so called White Court has already fought their way through the West Coast. They are currently in the far north of Idaho. This fortress exists in the Never-Never, so we can come out wherever they are. We have to work quickly though, before they reach a more populated area, or we run the risk of exposing ourselves to the Vanilla Mortals. The plan is simple. We will leave the Never-Never and appear right in front of them, and we will engage them in battle. They will have the advantage of numbers, but we will have the advantage of surprise and sheer power. There is a slight snag however."

"What snag?" Logan growled.

"They have a moving castle." Samhain told him. "It's enchanted so that the Vanilla Mortals can't see it, but it does have cannons and a full contingent of armor golems. We'll need to send in a small task force to take it out from the inside."

"Why can't you just blast it?" Lori demanded.

"Because, it is a marvel of magic and science in one." Samhain told her. "I want it."

"I'll go." Jade said.

"As will I." Merlin said.

"It would be my pleasure." Jack said, nodding.

"Very well. The three of you will go with Joan to the castle as soon as the rest of us have entered the battle. Take no prisoners. They wanted an extinction war. Well then, we will give them an extinction war."