Chapter 18

Lori climbed up into her tank, then stopped and turned to smirk at Logan. "Hey muttonchops! I bet I can kill more people than you can!"

"What's the stake?" Logan asked calmly, lighting a cigar.

"Loser pays for dinner." Lori said with a grin. Logan raised an eyebrow, and then shrugged.

"What the hell. Deal." Lori smiled and shut the hatch on her tank, strapping herself into the driver's seat. Her tank looked normal on the outside, but it had been heavily customized so that one person could do everything.

"You're going to lose that bet." Sherlock said from his position next to Logan, drawing his cane sword and examining it.

"What makes you say that?" Logan growled.

"Elementary my dear Logan. She has a tank, you have claws. She can kill multiple people in one shot; you can only kill two people at a time. She can kill from a distance, you can't. I hope you have your wallet ready." Sherlock told him, sheathing his cane sword again. Logan growled and puffed on his cigar, ignoring him.

On the opposite side of the battle line, Kayley was swinging her sword experimentally, making sure that all of her armor had been put on correctly. Angela raised an eyebrow. "Why do you wear that stuff?" She asked. Kayley was the only one of the soldiers recruited by Joan to wear any form of armor, and it confused Angela.

"It was my father's armor." Kayley told her, sheathing her sword. "I wear it remind myself what I fight for."

"Revenge?" Angela asked curiously. Kayley shook her head.

"No. I fight for justice and the protection of the weak, the virtues of the Round Table."

"Sounds boring." Brenda said from the other side of the two women, checking her sniper rifle.

"We can't all be murdering psychopaths." Link told her, walking up to the trio. Brenda glared at him.

"I'm not a murdering psychopath all the time." She told him. "Just on Mondays."

"Ignore her." Peter said, landing down next to them and putting an arm around her girlfriend's shoulders. "That's what I do."

"Gee, thanks." Brenda growled, slamming the magazine into her rifle.

"I kid." Peter said with a laugh, kissing her on the cheek.

"Ready yourselves." Vader said, walking up to the others with Jason close behind. "They've begun their charge."

"Finally." Brenda said excitedly, climbing up into her sniper tower. She looked through the scope and was about to pull the trigger when something smashed into her target, ripping it and several soldiers around him to shreds. "Dammit Lori!" She snapped into her radio.