Speed Dating

Who ever heard of speed dating to get a date for Valentine's Day? How desperate can people get?

When an ad on Facebook turned up, "Single Professionals, 25-35, event for 5 days only", Roxanne felt like fate was mocking her.

Her best friend Mina called and told her she saw the ad too, and thought it would be interesting to try it.

Roxanne had always believed that dating is a numbers game, wherein you have to kiss a large number of frogs before you find a prince. Speed dating seemed like an efficient way to evaluate the frogs. Why not? She told herself.

The event ticket was 1,200 pesos and was held at a bar called 212°F Tavern in Makati, a place famous for its pizza and beer. For their 1,200, the participants will get dinner and drinks.

How bad could it be?

She was not overly serious about finding anyone. She would be more into it for the entertainment.

Roxanne didn't know what kind of people would actually show up. She was so nervous, she might vomit.

She was the type of person who would put in a ton of research to up her game, and that included Lisa Eldrige's makeup tutorials on YouTube, and yes, how-to books on "flirting".

Mina's advice was on-point. The neckline was all-important.

Roxanne's go-to ensemble was a floral cardigan over a small white tank top, which allowed her "puppies" to breathe. Together with skinny jeans and a pair of black faux-leather biker boots, it was comfortable and easy to put together.

"Why are we doing this again, Wilhelmina?" Roxanne complained. Mina looked at her with her brow crunched up, as if silently running through a list of rebuttals that would convince her friend to stay.

"For fun, Roxy. It's on our bucket list, remember?" she answered. "This is going to be your dating, flirting, and rejection practice. You'll be a pro-dater after this, trust me. And who knows? You might find your Prince Charming tonight," Mina said, before Roxanne even had the chance of talking herself out of going.

They made their way into the event and were given a number tag that stubbornly refused to stick to their clothing. Their first stop was the bar. They sat, waiting to be directed to their seats by the event moderator.

"Just relax, okay? The Single Moms Tribe will be here in a minute. This is going to be so much fun, believe me," Mina assured her, and gestured to the bartender to order drinks.

"Hey gorgeous, what can I get you?" The bartender gave a flirty smile. He was about six feet tall. His brown hair was slightly unruly. Trailing her eyes down his chest, Roxanne noted the modest black T-shirt he wore, including the way it glued to his body and showed off the tattoos on his biceps. She thought he was the best thing the bar offered that night.

Mina had once pointed out that one of the reasons why Roxanne was still single was because she was usually immune to the charms of men in bars. But the bartender's smile turned the butterflies in Roxanne's stomach into gymnasts. She could stare at him for hours.

"This is our first time here. What do you recommend?" Mina asked, leaning on the bar.

"Do you like shots or do you prefer mixed drinks?" He asked Roxanne instead of answering Mina, his flirty smile lingering.

"W-what kind of mixed drinks do you have?" Roxanne spoke.

"Some of the favorites are Tequila Sunrise and Sex on the Beach.

Mina looked at her and raised an eyebrow, a small smile forming on her lips. "Sex on the Beach would be nice."

"You have no idea. It's the best, especially when done right." He winked and took out a glass.