Panty-melting Voice

The rest of the night at work was pretty much the same as always. Roxanne kept herself at her desk and tried to focus on her job. She was good at it, though her mind was elsewhere. It did, however, allow her to keep to herself.

She was mad at Chris, but mostly, she was mad at herself for still feeling the way she had before.

When she arrived home, she walked into her children's room and saw them soundly asleep. The hurt came back to her, remembering the look in Chris' eyes when he promised her that he'd take care of her no matter what.

He never did.

He broke her stupid, naive heart. Even now.

She remembered it like yesterday, the feeling of complete rejection. He broke his promise without a second thought. She had gotten it all wrong. But she was older now and wiser than ever before. Her heart would never break again.

Roxanne crawled to her bed and squeezed her eyes shut. She felt sick. Like bile was crawling up from her gut. It tightened all around her insides and churned her up, leaving a disgusting taste in her mouth.

Her phone buzzed. She rolled onto her back and searched for her phone blindly with her hand. She squinted from the light coming off the screen. A text from Wish.

Wish: That breakfast was a blast! Wanna do it again?

Roxanne: Haha, yeah! You think we had a good time? Because the guy I was hanging out with was really boring.

Wish: That's weird cause I heard he was pretty awesome, hot and sexy. You should have met the girl I was with, her daddy must be a terrorist because she's DA BOMB!

Roxanne: Whoa, it's a good thing she didn't blow your mind.

Wish: She did!

Roxanne: lol

Wish: Hey buddy, are you free?

Roxanne: Buddy? You're calling me names now.

Wish: Why? Do you prefer babe?

Roxanne: Buddy sounds better. Free? Tomorrow?

Wish: For the rest of your life?

Roxanne: lol! Get some sleep, Wish! I had a wonderful time, and in truth, you're not boring at all.

Wish: Wait! Call a doctor, please!

Roxanne: What? Why?!

Wish: I'm having a stroke! I think you just smiled after reading my last message!

Roxanne: lol! You got me there, huh, but that's not funny! No doctor joke!

Wish: Sorry...Now you need to come over and spank me! I've been very, very bad!

Roxanne: Come over here tomorrow, I'll kiss your ass!

Wish: What?!

Roxanne: Fuckin' autocorrect! That supposed to be I'll kick your ass.

Wish: lol, goodnight buddy.

Roxanne: Goodnight Wish xoxo

Wish: XOXO what's that supposed to mean?

Roxanne: Haha! Don't you know that? Hugs and kisses.

Wish: Ahh okay, well then XOXOZZZZ

Roxanne: LOLROTF&ICGU

Wish: Now, what the hell does that means?

Roxanne: Laughing Out Loud Rolling On The Floor & I Can't Get Up

Wish: GAHOY!

Roxanne: What was that?

Wish: Get A Hold Of Yourself! lol Serious now. Can I pick you up tomorrow? Dinner before we both go to work?

She thought for a moment before replying. It took her a few seconds, and when she was about to, her phone rang. Heart leaping, she picked up. "Hello?"

"Hey," whispered a voice, heavy with sleep, and automatically Roxanne smiled at the sound of his bedroom voice. "Why didn't you respond to my text?"

 "Why didn't you respond to my text?"

His voice was warm, and she could almost feel his lips against her as goosebumps rose all over her body.

Roxanne sat up from her bed, nudging the phone into the crook between her cheek and shoulder.

She was aware of how unsteady her breathing was, how her hair was probably sticking up in all directions, and how her voice would sound, and all the other little things she suddenly became insecure about.

"Um...about the dinner. Sorry, but I can't," she muffled, biting her lip.

"Buddy, it's not a DATE, okay?" Wish said, putting emphasis on the word. "Chill."

"As much as I want to, I'm on leave tomorrow. My mom is coming from Belgium. We're picking her up at the airport," she explained.

"Oh, I see. What time is she arriving?"

"Tomorrow afternoon."

"You could use a ride. What time shall I pick you up?" he offered.

"It's okay, don't bother, Wish."

"Don't worry, we're going to use my Dad's SUV. It's the latest model of Toyota Innova."

"Don't get me wrong, okay? It's not about the car." Roxanne laughed.

"Then, I insist," he said in deep timbre. A kind of rich, smooth, panty-melting voice.

"Okay," Roxanne agreed, sighing softly, unable to find any reason to refuse.

"I'll be expecting you at noon sharp."

"Aye aye, captain!" Wish said cheerfully. "Goodnight, buddy."

"Goodnight, Wish."

Roxanne found herself grinning from ear-to-ear. She wasn't sure what was happening between them, but she liked the feeling. It was a feeling she'd been lacking for so many years.

But was Wish content being her friend? She didn't think so, but she still needed him that way.

She fell asleep with the smile still on her face.

====

A/N: Hey Arcangels! Roxanne almost melted on that bedroom voice! Will his persistent capture the heart of our untrusting heroine? Stay tuned on the next update!! Thanks for reading! I hope you enjoyed it ;)