The One That Got Away...Returns

"This is your car?" Roxanne stared, wide-eyed, at the old rusty Mitsubishi Lancer.

"You act surprised," Wish smirked, unlocking the car.

"You know what? This is a major turn-off. Your good looks can do nothing to help you now," Roxanne teased him.

"That's not funny," Wish scoffed.

"I know. Sorry." Roxanne bit her bottom lip, suppressing her laughter.

"It's a good thing I don't rely on my car to impress anyone. Just get in the car, Foxy," he said, leaving the door open for her.

"It's Roxy, not Foxy," she iterated.

"Whatever. Now get in. I won't ask again."

"I barely know you. Promise you won't murder me."

Wish burst out laughing. "The car is still working, okay? I guarantee, you won't get tetanus."

An inexplicable tightness filled her chest at the sound of his laughter. The blush on her face betrayed her. Roxanne got into the car and Wish joined her on the driver's side.

"In all fairness, it smells good inside," she complimented as she rested her head on the back of her seat.

Wish snorted as they breezed through Gil Puyat Avenue.

They conversed for the whole drive, and she was damn near bubbly when the pealing sound of her phone alerted her of a text message from the nanny. She pulled out her phone and read the message:

Someone came here. He left a lot of toys, clothes, and books for the twins.

Roxanne went rigid.

Wish threw her a worried glance. "You okay?"

Roxanne hesitated before responding. "Y-yeah, I'm fine. Just tired," she lied.

"We're almost to your home."

They zoomed through Avenida until they reached Roxanne's house in Tondo and pulled in front of their gate.

She unbuckled her seatbelt and moved to let herself out of the car.

"This is a rough neighborhood," said Wish. "Don't you have any relatives, preferably male, that can stay with you and your kids?"

"Nah, they are all in the province. I don't want to bother them with my crap. It sucks being an only child, I know."

"I'm an only child myself, but Mom remarried and now I have three half-siblings. And guess what? It's completely awesome. And I get it, comprehension for anyone outside of our immediate family unit is futile."

"That's nice to know that you get along with them."

"The question 'who's your daddy' has never been so complicated. Especially when I look like a foreigner whenever we're together."

Roxanne shook her head. "Society doesn't understand blended families. It's complicated."

"The blood has very little to do with our bond. We don't even use the term 'half'".

Her small smile grew into a beam when she saw those dimples of his.

She crossed her arms over her chest. "So, what are you getting at?"

Wish shrugged. "Nothing. I guess what I'm trying to say is that, if ever I meet a woman who already has children, for sure, me and her children will get along well."

"Is that so?" Roxanne lifted an eyebrow.

"Yeah," Wish said, giving her a kind of wry, cheesy smile.