Weekend To Remember

Seven hours and a few stopovers later, they arrived in Baguio, the summer capital of the country, to experience the chilly weather and enjoy a respite from the sweltering heat in Manila.

Wish was already waiting at the bus station when they arrived.

Originally, he'd offered for them to stay at his family's house, but Roxanne had refused, not wanting to be an inconvenience. Apparently, Wish's family owned a few transient homes in La Trinidad. He offered one for a low cost that was almost free, which Roxette gladly accepted.

They started their tour at the early hour of eight A.M., visiting the Baguio Cathedral to thank God they'd reached such a beautiful place safely before heading on their day tour.

They went to the scenic Mines View, bought jars of peanut brittle, orange marmalade, and strawberry jams that came from the Good Shepherd Sisters' convent, and posed in front of The Mansion.

The kids rode the ponies painted in different colors at Wright Park. From there, they had a fun time picture-taking with the elders of an Igorot tribe, and had a chance dressing up as an Igorot in the Botanical Gardens.

At noon, they had lunch at Rancho Norte in the Ketchup Community, where they ordered Sizzling Crispy Sisig, Tapang Kabayo, and Tamarind juice. That was a gastronomic haven!

After, they headed to Camp John Hay, noticeably the only place in the city that was still dotted with pine trees, lacing the cool air with a refreshing scent. They'd taken a few shots and group pictures, then headed out to their next destination.

When they arrived at St. Lourdes Grotto, Wish gave them a choice of either walking up the long flight of stairs (which many people walk up in penance for their sins) or having the car take them at least halfway.

Roxette decided to walk. Maximus ended up clinging to Wish's back while Daniella's mother cradled her all the way up. The kids enjoyed the almost 300 step climb while taking short breaks to take more pictures. It was tiring, but fulfilling upon reaching the top where they had the chance to meditate and pray.

"I wasn't expecting such a scenic view on top. Really, it was not easy to climb up here, but was all worth it," Roxanne sighed. Wish stared at her.

"It's beautiful," he whispered.

She looked up at him and their eyes met.

"Um, let's go?" he asked.

"Yeah," nodded Roxanne, dazed. "We'd better go."

Their next stop was at the Tam-awan, a village. It was like museum portraying the life of the Igorots.

Last, they visited the strawberry farm located in the nearby town of La Trinidad, Benguet. As they arrived, peddlers of strawberry flavored ice cream and taho greeted them.

"You want to try them?" Wish asked the twins.

"Yes, please!" Daniella jumped in excitement. "I want strawberry ice cream!"

"Me too!" Maximus grabbed his hand, almost dragging Wish to the vendor.

"How about you, Tita?" Wish asked Roxette.

Roxette shook her head.

Wish eyed Roxanne, pointing to the ice cream. Roxanne nodded.

"Naimbag a bigat," Wish greeted the vendor. "Four ice creams, please."

The vendor scooped four strawberry ice cream scoops and the twins jumped with glee.