Chemistry

"Are you yawning?" Wish smirked at Roxanne from the across the table after she laughed at one of his cheesy jokes and stifled a yawn.

"I can't help yawning myself every time I see you yawn, even if you turn away to do it," she giggled, another small yawn escaping her lips once again.

"Damn, you are tired," he whined playfully. "Am I that..." a wide yawn twisted his features, "boring?" They both laughed.

She shook her head. "It's been a long night. And no, you are not boring at all." Roxanne tipped the mug of coffee against her lips.

He felt his stomach flutter at the sight of her smiling, and quickly looked away when she caught him staring.

They ate in silence, no weather on which to comment and no bothersome toll of traffic to talk about for a few minutes.

"You don't eat breakfast often, do you?" Wish broke the silence, giving Roxanne a sideways look.

"Of course, I do!" Roxanne took a bite of her sandwich and a mouthful of pasta while Wish's eyes focused on her. "With my friends, after our graveyard shift is over, we usually head out to Top Grill or Prov."

"That's not breakfast." He continued to stare at her. His eyes were analyzing her, reading her body language.

"Well, that's what call center agents call breakfast: cold beer, videoke, cigarettes." She shrugged. Roxanne took a short pause and stared into space quietly before zeroing back in on the face in front of her. "I-I'm not quite sure how this works. This whole eating with a guy is strange to me."

Wish chuckled. "I've only known you for a couple of days , but I can tell you're too uptight."

"You are nosy." She arched her eyebrows.

"Because you share a lot when you drink too much," he shot back. "So let's make a deal." Wish leaned forward. "If you'd stop being so uptight, I promise to chill out a little."

"Seriously?" Roxanne demanded. "What's that supposed to mean?" The other customers and the staff of the coffee shop turned their heads at them.

Wish eyed her over the rim of his coffee cup and managed a smile. Her eyes, they were breathtakingly beautiful, dark and expressive. He swallowed and looked away, feeling the warmth that briefly flowed in his stomach. A warmth that he wasn't sure was brought on by the coffee or something else that she sparked inside him.

Wish had never had this experience before. Spending time with someone he barely knew - and enjoying it. He was mostly used to having sex at first sight. He didn't have to explain himself, or the situation, and it wasn't the beginning of a relationship. The women in his past knew there was no possibility that he might have real romantic feelings.

It was unfamiliar. He wasn't sure if he could deal with it. He hadn't felt that for a long time.

"I don't like complications," Roxanne blurted.

"You're allowed to have a personality," he stated.

"Do you want me to give you a rundown of why men should not date a single mothe—?"

"You're oblivious to the way men look at you, Foxy."

Roxanne's lips turned up in a begrudging smile. Wish may have seen a slight blush rise on her cheeks. She took the sandwich to her mouth. "You don't know what you're saying."

"Trust me, I know." He focused on her dark eyes and his cocky smile widened.

"Guess what? Connie showed the result of the speed dating. You've got the highest number of 'hell yes'es.