Chapter Three: Opportunity

~ We're not broken just bent, and we can learn to love again... ~

Chapter Three: Opportunity

I felt a strong sense of warmth that radiated from behind me before I'd even opened my eyes, and I smiled slightly, fuzzily recognizing a woodsy scent that encased me sweetly. I curled up tightly, giggling almost silently as my mind registered a strong grip encircling my waist.

I slowly opened my eyes as I realized where I was, letting my vision adjust to the morning light before I recognized soft, gentle breathing in my ear. I turned my head ever so slightly, feeling my eyes widen as I realized I was spooned against Max's softly sleeping body. His arms were slid around my waist, pulling me tight against his strong body, his face tucked sweetly into my hair and easy, quiet snoring drifting lightly into my ear. He smiled slightly in his slumber, his fingers pressed gently into my abdomen. It took me a few minutes for my thoughts to collect enough that I was able to realize what had happened and how I'd ended up sleeping spooned against him on his couch.

I slowly realized that after I came out into the living room in tears late last night, I must've fallen asleep in Max's comforting embrace. He probably just fell asleep before he was able to get up or move me.

But I really couldn't help the sense of ease and calm that accompanied waking up wrapped in his arms.

I very gingerly unlaced his arms from around my waist, slowly sitting up and getting off the couch. Max shifted slightly, though didn't wake, making me smile as I turned and started heading towards his kitchen, beginning to look for what I needed.

Thirty minutes later I turned towards the entrance to his kitchen, seeing Max's strong figure standing in a pair of loose fitting sweats, pulled down low enough on one hip to expose the waistband of his boxers. I tried not to stare at his sculpted body, smiling slightly as I watched him yawn cutely.

"Good morning," I greeted softly, taking the last of the bacon from the skillet. "I made you breakfast... I hope you don't mind."

Max grinned sleepily at me, walking over to me and patting my head sweetly. "Are you kidding, baby?" he laughed. "Do you know how long it's been since I woke up to a house that smelled like bacon?"

I giggled. "Apparently a while," I smiled. "Sit down, I'll fix you a plate..."

Max chuckled and nodded, moving to his coffee machine and noticing the already hot pot. He looked over at me and grinned wider, his eyes sparkling. "You made coffee too?" he laughed. I nodded sheepishly, tucking my hair behind my ear as he poured himself a cup.

"I hope you're not mad I totally came in and took over your kitchen," I commented, carrying two plates over to his kitchen table. He came behind me and grinned, shaking his head and setting his free hand on my shoulder.

"I'm not mad at all," he laughed. "This was really sweet of you, Symphony... Thank you."

I blushed slightly and nodded as Max poured me a glass of orange juice while I grabbed forks and gathered syrup for the pancakes. We met back at the table, where Max pulled my chair out for me like a true gentleman, bowing childishly and making me giggle slightly as I curtseyed, sitting down and letting him push me in as well. We laughed as he moved and sat at the table across from me, shooting me a playful wink as we fell into easy conversation.

"This looks fantastic," Max told me, digging in. I giggled slightly, taking a bite out of my bacon and smiling at him.

"Thank you," I said, watching him eat in true boyish fashion, thought not impolitely. We laughed and talked while we ate breakfast, about nothing really particular, before Max's face suddenly became somber, his eyes slightly concerned.