Chapter Thirty-One: Cracked Plaster

~ Relax your mind, take your time on me... ~

Chapter Thirty-One: Cracked Plaster

"King me!"

"Dammit..."

I gasped. "Language!"

Max threw his hands up. "Sorry!"

Landon just laughed. "It's okay," he told Max. "I've heard worse; I know what I'm allowed to say and what I'm not supposed to say."

I shot Max a look, and he shrugged, sending me a sheepish smile. I lovingly rolled my eyes, going back to playing piano in the shop. Landon and Max had been playing checkers for a little while now, while I put some music together, and it was soothing to me. My boyfriend was being sweet, Landon was being cute, and I was calm.

"How does that sound?" I asked, replaying the last few chords for Max. My boyfriend looked over at me from his and Landon's spots a table or two away, biting his lip as he thought.

"What key is this in?"

I sighed. "F. I'm trying to get these last few of notes."

Max nodded. "A couple of them sound dissonant. Try replacing the last four or so."

I groaned, leaning my head against my music. Max chuckled lightly, shaking his head at me lovingly.

"You'll get it," he assured me. "Try stepping away from it for a minute; come sit with us and watch Landon whoop me at checkers."

I let out a long breath, nodding a little. I lifted my head, pushing my hair from my face and standing, grabbing my coffee and walking over to their table. Max scooted his chair out a bit and patted his lap, beckoning me to sit and get comfy. I let out a small smile as I sat across his legs, letting him wrap one arm around my waist. Landon watched us and cocked his head, making his move and leaning back.

"Simmy?" he spoke. "How come you sit in Max's lap like that?" Landon paused, scrunching his face up a little. "You're kinda a little big for that."

I laughed lightly, and Max chuckled, leaning up and moving a checker, clearly, and purposely, moving into a square so Landon could jump him. "The same reason why you would sit in your momma's lap," I told the little boy, setting my hand on Max's over my stomach. "When I sit in Max's lap like this, I feel safe and protected; it even helps calm me down."

Landon frowned, trying to understand. "How come?"

Max smiled, kissing my shoulder. "Because I love her," Max told Landon. "I love Symphony more than I love anyone else in the world... I'd do anything to make her happy; that makes Simmy feel safe."

I nodded in agreement, lightly poking Landon's nose, making him giggle softly. "It's something you'll understand a little more when you get older and start liking girls."

Landon scrunched up his nose. "I'll never like girls," he told us matter-of-factly, crossing his arms stubbornly. "Girls have cooties, and I'm not gettin' no cooties!"

Max and I laughed, watching Landon grin as he saw Max was open to jump. His little hand leaned forward, jumping my boyfriend and narrowing Max's opportunity for a win. Max feigned surprise, making me sigh lovingly as he scratched his stubbly chin, fake-thinking of a move.

"That reminds me," Max spoke, kissing my temple as he leaned forward, ignoring another move he could've made and shifting his checker. "I have a bit of a random question."

I sighed longingly, tracing my fingers over his knuckles. "Hmm?"

Max leaned forward a bit. "Scruff, or no scruff?"