Chapter Fourteen: The Answer

~ So simple and clean... ~

Chapter Fourteen: The Answer

I let out half a screech before slapping my hand over my mouth. Before I could blink, Max was beside me, though only for an instant before I was in his arms as he lifted me quickly onto a nearby counter, one hand on my back and the other cradling my right leg behind my knee.

"Shit..." I managed, squeezing his shoulder as a searing pain shot through my foot. "Shit shit shit..."

Lucas and my dad weren't far behind, coming into the kitchen with worried looks. Upon seeing the shattered plate across the floor and the huge bleeding gash in my foot, they flew into a panic, freaking out as I tried not to vocalized all the obscure and morally wrong curse words that flung through my head at the moment. Max was trying to calm me down, watching as tears formed in my eyes.

"Shit," I said, opting for it again rather than another nasty word. Max ran his fingers up and down my back, soothing me, trying to get me to squeeze his shoulder to let the pain out.

"What happened?" he asked, cupping my face in the hand that didn't hold my leg. I let out a long breath as I looked down at my bleeding foot, shaking my head a little at myself.

"Dropped a damn plate," I mumbled. "It shattered and one of the larger pieces got my foot."

Max looked down at my bleeding gash again, running his thumb along my cheekbone before kneeling, holding my foot gently and inspecting it carefully. I sucked in a sharp breath as it began to throb, making me bite my tongue, hard.

"Do we need to take you to the ER?" my dad suddenly asked. I shook my head, watching Max stand again.

"It isn't that serious," I assured him, wincing lightly as the wound throbbed again. Max looked over at my dad, taking my hand and letting me squeeze it.

"Do you have any gauze?" Max asked, squeezing my hand back in comfort. "And maybe some kind of medical tape?"

Dad nodded, and he smiled a little as Max tried to soothe me. "Yeah," he said. "Just give me a second."

He disappeared, leaving Lucas to stare at me worriedly and Max to comfort me. "Are you okay?" he asked, his thumb running along my thigh. I nodded a little, resting my forehead to his. "Are you sure you don't wanna go to the ER? We can stop on the way home."

I shook my head. "I'll take some Tylenol or something and I'll be okay."

Max sighed, watching me carefully. "Promise?" he said. "I don't mind, really."

I nodded. "I promise."

Max sighed, watching me sweetly. "If you're sure."

I chuckled, kissing his forehead. "I'm sure," I said. "But I think maybe it was our cue to head out."

Max nodded. "Most likely," he mused. "We'll patch you up and start heading home. How's that sound?"

I rested my head against his, sighing heavily. "Sounds good," I said. Max smiled a little, kissing the top of my head and bringing me closer.

Dad walked back in, an armful of gauze and some medical tape, along with some ace bandages. "Will this work?"

Max nodded and smiled, taking the supplies and kneeling in front of me, slowly taking my foot in his hands and examining the still very throbbing gash. I winced as Max smiled apologetically, kissing my shin as Lucas told my dad they'd be leaving shortly after Max patched me up.

"This is probably gonna hurt a bit, little dove," he told me. I shrugged a little, giving a tiny smile.

"I'll be alright," I told him. He nodded a little, slowly beginning to place gauze over the gash and lightly apply pressure, trying to stop the bleeding. I sucked in a breath and let Lucas take my hand, squeezing hard as I shut my eyes. Max apologized swiftly, though didn't stop, knowing it'd just be easier to keep going as he began to wrap my foot.