Chapter 4

Hours later, Rhydian watched as Anjaleen awoke. She rolled onto her back and stretched, yawning. He had positioned himself to lean against the rocks after he set her gently in the shade upon a softer, thicker patch of lush, green grass.

Now, she was staring at him with her unearthly green eyes, that were ironically, the same color of the grass that she lay on. She pushed herself up, still staring deep into his eyes. Her face shone of confusion, disbelief, but a strange look of content as well.

"Did you enjoy your sleep, pretty one?" He purred. Her beautiful eyes narrowed and she scoffed.

"No, I did not."

"You lie, my sweet."

She shook her head, "Whatever. I am in no mood to argue with you right now."

"Same with myself. Do you fancy an apple?"

She shook her head, "No, I have some in my pack and-" She froze, realizing that her pack was no longer slung over her back, but instead it rested calmly beside Rhydian.

He picked it up, "Looking for this?" He pulled out another apple and tossed it to her. It rolled on the ground and came to a rest next to her. A crunch sounded as he belatedly bit into the apple that he held, "Join me for day-meal, my sweet."

Anjaleen only stared at the apple he'd offered, "Why are you doing this?"

"Because I want to."

"Why be kind to me whilst I have only burdened you?"

He hummed, "Good question. I do not know."

He cheered mentally as she plucked the apple off the ground, dusted it off, and bit into it.

"Fine," she sighed, "You may stay in this meadow. Just please treat it with respect."

Rhydian's heart skipped a beat. She sounded so desperate and her voice was laced with sorrow. "Of course." He choked. Part of him was glad and relieved that he didn't have to kill Anjaleen in order to stay in the meadow, but another part of him was guilty that he'd made her so worked up. Of course, he hadn't known that her old man had owned this meadow beforehand. Nor that he'd passed it onto his daughter.

Rhydian sighed, "I'm sorry. I hadn't known of this meadow's importance to you," he paused, furrowing his brows, "I-I will leave if you wish."

Green eyes locked onto his and Anjaleen blinked in surprise, "Pardon?"

"I said; I will leave if you wish."

The blond girl waited a moment, registering what he'd just said. "No."

This time it was his turn. "Pardon?"

She rolled her eyes, "You can stay, you silly boy. Do not make me change my mind." And with that, she crawled over to him, snatched up her bag, and seemed to hop back in the direction of her village. "It's getting late," she called to him, "and I have to go. Expect me here midday tomorrow," then she stopped and turned back to him, "What's your name?"

He smirked, "Rhydian, my sweet," then he smiled at her retreating form cheekily, "Stay safe, pretty one! I look forward to our meeting!"

A/N: Dang it. Still short. 

~ Alex