Chapter 5

For the past twenty days, Anjaleen would meet with Rhydian everyday after she finished her chores, and everyday they got to know eachother better. Anjaleen told Rhydian of her family, her mom and older sister, Jezabelle, and Jezabelle's fiance Nathaniel, her love for fruit and cute, fluffy critters, and her interest and curiosity about Shifters. Shifters were magic-wielding creatures that were born a certain animal and could Shift, meaning they could take on a human form. Shifters were one the many concerns Anjaleen came to speak of today.

"Rhydian! Guess what? I saw a goat Shifter today!"

She saw Rhydian slowly look up from the strange, thick, jewel encrusted journal he always kept with him. He shut the book and stuffed in in his pack, "Really? A goat Shifter?"

She eyed the pack, "Yes," she murmured before regaining focus, "Yes, I saw him Shift from man to goat! It was amazing! Shifters are magnificent creatures!"

"I see," Rhydian hummed. He looked puzzled, "What do you think of them?"

"I just told you, Rhy. They're amazing!"

"No, I mean other villagers hunt them, hate them for the magic they possess. Why do you not hate them as well?"

Anjaleen scoffed, "Then those people are heartless and cruel. This is only the second Shifter I've ever seen, and that's two more that most people I've met. They cannot truly admire these creatures because they know nothing of them. What do you think of them, Rhy?"

Rhydian just slumped back against the rock, blinking. "I love Shifters," he mumbled before smiling broadly, "You're the first human I've met who doesn't want to kill them." He laughed heartily, "Anjaleen, dear, I have many things to tell you about Shifters!"

She perked, "What do you mean? How much can you possibly know about them?"

He chuckled, "Much more than you'd ever guess, my sweet. But let us not start that conversation just yet, for you are troubled. What bothers you, Anja?"

Anjaleen looked up at the young man with a start, "How did you know I was troubled?"

"Your body language shows your emotions clearly," Rhydian remarked dryly, "I don't like seeing you upset."

She blushed and shifted on her spot upon the grass, "Well, in seven days time we will be expecting the king and his son to arrive here. See, Prince Derek is looking for a possible wife since none of the women in his kingdom have interested him. And according to the rumors, none of the women in any of the other villages have interested him either," she paused, "and I'm worried for Jezabelle. She is engaged to Nathaniel, remember, and even though he's the new Commander of our forces, he does not outrank the Prince. I am afraid Prince Derek will choose Jezabelle as his wife. She is the most beautiful young woman in our village anyway."

Anjaleen's heart thumped wildly in her chest as she thought of her older sister, her best friend, being taken away from her life, fiance, and family. Jezabelle would be devastated!

Suddenly, strong, warm arms enveloped her in a comforting embrace. "Stop worrying," Rhydian soothed in that deep, velvety tone, "I am sure he won't choose her, and by the way you described her fiance, I am sure Nathaniel won't let that happen without having something to say about it."

Anjaleen laughed, picturing Nathaniel telling off the Prince in front of the King and most likely the whole village. "I can image."

Then, Rhydian turned serious, "I want to know who he chooses, if anyone, by the next morning after the ceremony. Please tell me as soon as possible."

Anjaleen frowned. Rhydian seemed nervous and concerned, almost as if he expected Derek to choose her as his wife. She grinned, "What would a prince want with shabby, old me anyways?"

Rhydian's scowl only deepened and his thoughts were expressed on his face. It clearly said; that prince had better not mess with Anjaleen. She shivered, if Derek did indeed end up choosing her, she had a feeling Rhydian would hunt him down and do whatever it takes to get her back. She just didn't know whether to feel flattered or disturbed by that thought.