Chapter 12

The first thing Anjaleen heard was the calm, rhythmic breathing of someone sleeping. She tried to open her eyes but found she couldn't. So, instead she attempted to pull her arms from under the many fluffy, warm blankets she felt above her and lifted the damp cloth from her face. She blinked rapidly until the blurriness cleared and gasped when her eyes focused. The bed she laid in could fit at least four people comfortably and was layered in thick, white blankets. The pillows seemed to cushion her head and they smelled of sweet honeysuckles.

The room itself was large and homey. A small, wooden dining table sat snugly in the far corner of the room next to the unusually huge door. There was a stone fireplace to the opposite of her and the fire inside reached to her, spreading its warmth throughout the room. The floors were a dark, unidentifiable wood and they looked new and polished. They probably were. The whole room looked and felt expensive and she didn't want to possibly mess anything up.

To her left, there was a cushioned, wood chair. To her surprise, it was framed with jewels and other fine gems. But, the person sitting in that chair, snoozing, was much more impressive than any fine stone.

Rhydian was slumped in the chair, snoring. His sandy, blonde hair partly covered his eyes and ruffles every time he exhaled. Instead of wearing close to nothing, the Shifter was wrapped in a strange blue chiton-like garment. He wore black sandals on his feet and black wrappings from his wrists to about a finger-length below his elbow. A necklace of blue water-stones, the most expensive Ocean village jewel, and shined obsidian stones shone from where it lay around his neck. She laughed softly as she noticed a small pool of drool leaking slowly from his mouth.

"Ew, Rhydian, nasty!" She chuckled, but she ended up having a coughing fit. Rhydian's crystal blue eyes snapped opened and a wide grin graced his features.

"You're awake," he exclaimed, astonished, "That's amazing! How do you feel?"

She blinked, "I feel wonderful." And it was true she did. Aside from her raw throat and itchy eyes, she felt like she'd slept a whole moon! There were no purple and black bruises covering her arms, like she'd been sure that would be there, but they weren't. Pulling out from beneath the covers, taking a tiny moment to admire the soft, white nightgown she wore, she noticed that her legs were also scar and bruise-free. "How?" She asked, stunned.

Rhydian smiled again, "Our healers did well, I presume?"

Anjaleen only stared. Rhydian sighed, "I suppose you're more confused than I thought. Here," he gestured to a folded pile of clothes on the bedside, "Change into these and meet me outside the room, okay. I have much to tell you." With that, he slid out the door and shut it softly, behind him with a click.

Sliding off the huge bed, Anjaleen unfolded the clothes and saw a robe-like sun dress, undergarments, and a pair of white sandals. She slid on the undergarments, pushed on the sandals, and pulled on the dress. Twirling around in the body-sized mirror, she was awed by how the white dress flowed around her knees and complimented her honey blond waves. As she spun, a glint from the fireplace mantel caught her eye. A silver bracelet with glittering peridot jewels and tiny diamonds to blend with the silver. It just sat there innocently and Anjaleen couldn't help but pick it up and slide it onto her wrist. The peridot gems matched her eyes perfectly and just seeing it on her in the mirror made her beam.

Once she got the courage to meet Rhydian outside the room, her drowsiness had dissipated and was replaced with a childish giddiness to see the outside. She gasped as she exited the room. Wherever she was, it was paradise. Instead of a hallway, like she expected, a smooth, stone walkway lead to the next, amazing building. A marble fountain sat in the center of a green, flowing garden full of blooming bluebells and the heavenly smell of the lavender growing in the ceramic pots along the path. She couldn't handle her cluelessness any longer.

"Where are we?" She breathed.

Rhydian snickered, "I knew you'd love this garden better than the one with the poppies and tulips," his sparkling blue eyes met her own and she realized how glad she was that he was here, talking with her, "We are in the Avaradia Kingdom, the main palace. The Avaradia Kingdom is basically acres and acres of land untouched by humans and reserved for Shifters of all kinds. Since most of mankind is harsh towards Shifters, the dragon Shifters, the most powerful of Shifters known, created this kingdom in the lands of Avaradia. For some, it is a permanent residence and they live here for life. For others, it is a getaway for when times get rough outside of Avaradia."

Rhydian smiled fondly as he spoke, "King Aros and his wife, Queen Esmeralda, rule Avaradia and do it quite well if I do say so myself. They are dragon Shifters. King Aros is the great-great-great-grandchild of the founder of Avaradia, Erebos, so Avaradia's housed Shifters for many generations now, and will continue to do so."

"Are there any other humans here?" She asked, hoping there were.

"Of course," Rhydian replied, "Many humans live here with the Shifters. They've stumbled upon Avaradia by accident or were brought here, but no human is allowed to tell the 'outside world' of this kingdom's existence."

Rhydian took her hand in his and admired her bracelet, "So you like it?"

"Yes, it's beautiful. I found it on the mantle. Who's is it?"

Rhydian's sweet laugh sounded in her ears, "Oh, Anja, my sweet. It is yours. I do hope I chose the stone wisely."

Her eyes widened, "Rhydian," she exclaimed, "thank you!" She embraced him, burying her face into his chest. She breathed in deeply and sighed. He smelled of woodland and spice. A strange mix, but it fit him. "Thank you."

"You're welcome, Anja. Now let us go meet the King and Queen, shall we?"

A/N: Longer chapter! Yay! Chapter 13 coming tomorrow hopefully.

~ Alex