Chapter 7

The day of the King Buchanan and Prince Derek's arrival was upon the Mountain village and everyone was in shape. The men wore their best clothes while the women wore gowns of satin and silk. Some of the wealthier women defined their dresses with jewels or lace. Children combed their hair and washed their clothes and shoes. Even the animals were washed, brushed, and fattened up.

The market was stocked full with only the freshest fish, ripest fruits, shiniest vegetables, and fattiest meat for the events. Flowers were placed everywhere and on everyone, either in their hair or held in their hand, and vines grew on the gates where the king would enter on his white steed. He'd then be followed by his son and their royal guard, also on groomed horses.

The delicious scent of freshly baked bread wafted from the bakery. It smelled of rich, melted chocolate and ripe berries. The kitchen smelled of casseroles of all types, smoked turkeys and pigs and chickens, and meat pies, and if she focused, Anjaleen could smell the dressing for the many salads that were being prepared for the feast.

As much as she loved the heavenly smells and beautiful decorations around the Great Hall, she dreaded the prince's arrival. Her stomach sank as she realized that once the day was over, her life would change. Even if she didn't know the woman that was chosen, she flt as if his decision connected to her. Anjaleen had the sudden longing to be held by Rhydian, hear his smooth, deep voice tell her she'd make it out of this okay, but she knew he wasn't anywhere close. She'd have to rough it. It would hopefully all be over by dusk.

The sun was at it's highest point in the sky when she heard the thundering hooves and trumpets. As she looked out her window, she saw the flag of Etheria, King Buchanan's kingdom, being held high by the the king's personal knight, the Warrior. Jewels glinted off the shoulder armor of the red cloaked assassin. She suppressed a shiver. As far as she could remember, nobody, except the king himself, knew the knight's true identity. But everyone knew the knight was a cold-blooded killer and was not afraid to show who was superior.

Anjaleen sighed and looked at herself in her mother's full body mirror one last time. She fiddled with the hem of her cloud-white, floor length satin dress. It was plain and looked as if it were made from brand-new bed sheets. She owned no jewels or silky lace or a fancy headdress, so she improvised. Smiling proudly at the pin on the side-table, she picked it up and admired it. It was silver and crafted in a design of swirls and flower petal shapes. On one end she'd stuck pure white eagle feathers, small, fluffy baby feathers above the longer, adult flight feathers. She pinned it to the space where the two braids met from each side of her head. It looked perfect there, she mused, but silently hoped that, along with her white flats, didn't pull too much attention towards her.

As she made her was outside towards the town square, she took in all the other dresses. Some were a deep blue while others were a happy, sun yellow. She saw other women wearing white as well, but most had jewels glinting in the sun or a different color lace around their waists of along the hem. Some women had huge, elaborate headdresses that made them look like big birds. A group of children ran past her legs, giggling. They were eager to finally see the king, carefree. She was jealous of their niativity.

She, along with other, beautiful young women were lined up like cattle along one side of the square, while the other town-people stood in the square, waiting.

Anjaleen saw her sister smile nervously at her before giving a last, passionate kiss to Nathaniel. They exchanged a few words, hugged, then separated. When Nathaniel approached her, he looked sad and worn.

"Hello, Anjaleen," he greeted, "I'd like to wish you luck as well for the choosing." Nate paused, "I secretly hope you don't get picked," he said before holding his hands up in mock surrender, "I know you probably won't, but I'd really miss you if you did. Jezabelle would be devastated and I may or may not come steal you away from him." He chuckled, flicking his dark brown hair before sobering, "Do be careful, Anjaleen."

She smiled wryly, "I'll try, Nate," she sighed as the bells rung, signaling the king's entrance was approaching, "I suppose you must get back with the others before they arrest you or something."

He laughed, "Then I'd go kicking and screaming. Once again, good luck. I'll see you once this is over, okay?"

She nodded and shooed him away. She let her eyes wander across the clearing where the villagers gathered. She caught her mother's gaze and waved. Her mother smiled widely, hazel eyes bright with pride and anticipation. Unlike herself, the middle-aged woman as ecstatic with the thought of any of her daughters being married off to Prince Derek, even a daughter that was already engaged to another man, and as high in status as Nathaniel was, he did not outrank the prince or the king.

To Mother, it was all about status and whether or not she would benefit from the marriage, and being the mother of the future Queen of Etheria meant money, jewels, security, and a lot of popularity among the lands of Etheria and beyond. Anjaleen just smiled forcefully then looked away, feeling crushed.

Suddenly, trumpets and drums sounded. The king and Prince Derek had arrived.