Chapter 15

Anjaleen sat atop Rhydian's great dragon back, clutching one of the sharp spikes protruding from the ebony scales. A magnificent fiery-red dragon flew beside them, dark blue eyes occasionally flicking in their direction.

Great trees that would normally tower over her in the forest looked small, and she could see the Mountain village in the distance. With every powerful wing beat, the two dragons and human were propelled further towards Anjaleen's family.

Anjaleen's honey blonde hair was tied up to prevent it from whipping around her face in the wind. She wore a riding outfit with an off-white riding shirt under a long black sleeved and long black pants. Over the shirt, a light brown vest lay comfortably over the black shirt and a belt held her pants up. Her original black riding boots dug into Rhydian's scales as they flew.

They landed in the meadow, and whilst Anjaleen and Rhydian knew their way, Aron did not. As she looked at the King, Anjaleen saw that his huge dragon head was pointed in the direction of the mountain they'd flown over, and he was sniffing deeply. He seemed to snap out of whatever trance he was in and looked back at her and Rhydian, awaiting instructions.

With Rhydian's help, she slid off his back and landed in the soft ground. "I'll go on foot," sh announced, "and try to stop the execution before it happens. We did not hear from Lithius on how far it had already progressed, but judging by his words, I may have time to step in."

Rhydian growled menacingly at the thought of Anjaleen going in alone. She rolled her eyes, "You and King Aron, Rhydian, will wait be the trees, hiding from the guards, and if necessary, step out and assist. You both will no doubt help out in bringing my family to safety, but if we're going to do this, we have to do it right."

Aron hissed in approval while Rhydian reluctantly nodded his large head. Anjaleen smiled.

As Anjaleen reached the end of the forest, she darted towards the square, where all the people were. As she neared the place where King Buchanan first made his speech, she heard another one in session.

"-and because of Ajaleen Winiture's betrayal, we have no choice but to grant my son his last wish," Anjaleen grimaced at his next words, "punish the family of his unfaithful wife."

She rounded a corner and froze once she saw Derek. He stood atop the stage with his father, grinning manically at the crowd. White and still-red scars covered his face and any bare skin she was. His nose was bent at an odd angle and a chunk of his ear was missing. But that wasn't the only this missing, his whole arm, up to his elbow, was gone. It was replaced with a gleaming, metal sword. The blade was double-sided, thin, and lethal.

It was also positioned across her mother's neck.

Anjaleen sucked in a breath. The blade drew a long, neat like across her mother's throat and a small stream of bright red blood dripped onto her white shirt. It was a tiny cut, so she knew her mother was not bleeding out.

On the stage, in a tidy line, her mother, Jezabelle, and Nathaniel were tied up and on their knees. They were gagged and Nathaniel had a black eye forming and a swelling lip.

Anjaleen felt hot tears slide down her face. Her family shouldn't suffer for her actions! Determination flooded her veins and she leapt up, "Stop!" She screamed, "I'm here!"

As the eyes of Buchanan, Derek, her family, and the whole village turned on her, she felt like a stupid child who'd blurted out something that shouldn't have been said.

"Let go of my family, Derek," she spat, "You have no right!"

"No right?!" Derek exploded, every muscle in his body tensing, "No right?! I have every right, wife, every right! I chose you! I proposed to you! You should have married me!"