Chapter 17

Magmus was finally pushed back, hissing and spitting as King Aron, Queen Esmeralda, and her royal guard beat the old dragon into the ground. The insane dragon laughed manically as he was cornered.

Rhydian flashed another grateful smile at Lithius, whom was busy healing both Jezabelle and Nathaniel of their wounds. Anjaleen sat upon his back, between his wings, latched into one of his spikes. Her hair was messy and tangles and her pant legs and sleeves were burnt at the ends, but she sat confidently. He turned back and ran his forked tongue along her cheek.

"Did you just kiss me?" Anjaleen laughed.

"Yes," he purred. She swatted at his nose and he turned back to face the now cowering Magnus.

They both watched as Aron approached the rusty-red dragon and placed his jaws around the mad dragon's neck, "He cannot be allowed to live any longer," his father rumbled, "I will not pardon him again."

With that, Rhydian turned his head, blocking the sight from Anjaleen. He heard a snap and out of the corner of his eye, he saw Magmus' lifeblood stain the scorched grass. Aron lifted his head, blood dripping from his lips, "Magmus is dead!" He bellowed, "Never again shall villages and Shifters be tormented by that outcast!"

Jezabelle and Nathaniel cheered while the royal guard and Lithius howled at the sky, their song happy and relieved. Rhydian licked her again, eyes shining.

"I love you, too." He said.

Once they were back at the castle, Anjaleen fled to her chambers to shower. Her sister insisted on coming along, just to catch up.

"So," Jezabelle started, "I saw that black dragon getting pretty chummy with you. What's up with that?"

Anjaleen chuckled tiredly, "His name is Rhydian and I love him."

Instead of freezing and starting to freak out like Anjaleen had expected her to do, Jezabelle clapped her on the back.

"That much is clear," she laughed, "the way you were saying over and over when you thought he was gone for good."

Anjaleen felt her cheeks grow hot, "Shut up!" She cried, pushing her sister playfully. They both laughed until their stomachs hurt and tears ran down their faces.

"I love you, Jezabelle," Anjaleen breathed, "I don't know what I'd do without you."

Jezabelle looked at her seriously, "You'd run around naked and screaming if I weren't around."

Anjaleen sputtered, "I would not!"

They laughed again at the mental image as Anjaleen pushed the door to her chambers opened.

"Woah," Jezabelle commented as they entered, "This is the fanciest room I've ever seen!"

"Wait 'till you see the shower!" Anjaleen called from the bathroom.

When they were both clean, Anjaleen led Jezabelle to the dining room where they would all gather to have a late evening-meal. Light foods, such as rice, tuna fish, noodles, and fruit were set on beautiful glass serving plates and gold-tipped bowls.

"Oh, my." Jezabelle gasped as she took in the pristine table setting. Anjaleen sat her sister in the chair next to her while she sat between Rhydian and her sister. Nathaniel sat across from Jezabelle, taking advantage and making faces before the meal started. Elaina and Sephirus had heard of the day's chaotic and traumatizing events and insisted they sit in to this meal.

Lithius was blushing to the tips of his ears as he sat at the head of the table per the King and Queen's request.

Everybody was clean, smelling of organic soap and wearing comfortable informal evening attire. Before the meal started, Aron praised Lithius for saving Rhydian and healing everyone's injuries.

"I've been practicing spells all my life," Lithius admitted, "Since I was a hatchling. I loved to expand my knowledge in magic and spells, for it was the only thing I could take pride in doing and not mess up."

Esmeralda smiled at that, commenting and saying that he was a hero and turned the tide of the battle.

"No," Lithius said politely, "You saved the day, milady. If not for you assembling us all together and taking us towards the Mountain village, this day would have had a completely different outcome."

The Queen blushed lightly and requested the begin their meal. A request everyone happily obliged to. 

A/N: Final chapter! Or is it...?

~Alex