Chapter 5

Groaning, Edward slowly came to. The first thing he noticed was that he was face down on the floor. The second thing was that he was in more pain than he had ever felt. Shivering he reached his hand up to his pounding head.

Every part of him hurt and at the moment he was having a hard time remembering why. Trying to push himself up he felt his arm muscles shaking under the pressure. Letting out a sharp gasp he forced himself to continue righting himself. God, he thought...even his hair hurt!

Turning his head from left to right he found he was unable to make out anything around him. His eyes refused to focus as he frustratingly shook his head.

"What the hell happened," he whispered as he blinked his eyes rapidly. It was so dark in the house, all that he could seem to make out at first was a soft glow coming in through the kitchen window.

Finally pulling himself up into a sitting position he leaned his back against the wall. Attempting to get his thoughts in order he placed his hands at his side, further attempting to steady himself. Feeling something sticky beneath him, he brought his hand up to his face and could just make out the blood that coated his finger tips.

Suddenly, following another sudden throbbing pain in his head, he remembered...he remembered everything.

Nicole's voice telling him that someone was in the house whispered through his mind as he suddenly became aware of the broken table and the shattered vase that laid beside him.

A shiver ran through him as he noticed the whole in the wall and the glass that littered the hallway.

Edward remembered he had been slowly making his way down the hall when a shadowy figure came up beside him. The stranger had taken him by surprise and he had only begun to point his gun towards the figure when the stranger had quickly advanced.

He vaguely remembered wrestling with the man, he remembers his wrist being bent back until it almost snapped, causing him to drop his gun. He also remembers hearing a horribly menacing laugh right before a sudden sharp pain to the head....then nothing.

Nicole!! Edward thought wildly.

He swiveled his head over towards the hallway and spotted a soft yellow glow coming from beneath the door. His throat began to tighten as he tried to fight off the unwanted images of what could be happening in the room began to invade his mind.

THEIR room!!!!

Turning his worry and fear into anger, Edward gave himself a mental shake as he tried to remember where he had been when he lost his gun. Reaching around on the ground he searched for his gun, it had to be around here somewhere, and if the soft mumbles and sobs that were beginning to reach his ears meant what he thought they did, he needed to find it fast.

Hearing Nicole let out a sudden scream he began to scramble to his feet, moving quickly down the hall towards the room. Completely forgetting all about his search for his gun.

~*~*~

Thank you all for reading Chapter 5 of The Letter (you guys are the best!!)... I wanted to bring Edward back into the mix before things got too horrible between Scott and Nicole... Hope you guys liked it!! I've already started working on Chapter 6 and I will hopefully have that posted for everyone real soon...xo

vote/comment/follow

~ Em