Chapter 7

The screams coming from the bedroom were growing and filled with pain as Edward made his way down the hall. A cold sweat was now covering his already pain ridden body. Raking a hand through his hair he blinked rapidly to clear his vision.

He continued moving down the hall, the endless hall that looked like something to Edward that was straight out of Stephen King's 'The Shining'. Huffing, he pushed on. His determination to get to Nicole, to stop that monster from hurting her, pushed him forward.

Finally making it to the end of the hall, Edward rested his hands quietly against the door frame as he listened to the vile words coming out of the man's mouth. Edward couldn't place his voice, but from what he was hearing the man knew Nicole. Knew her intimately. Grinding his teeth, Edward took several deep breaths.

What am I going to do, Edward thought wildly as he heard Nicole's multiple gasps of pain. He knew he needed to figure something out and he needed to do it fast. Edward could only imagine what was going on in there. With every word that fell from the stranger lips, and every pain filled cry from Nicole, he felt his blood growing colder.

Looking around the dark hall he quickly realized he didn't have much to pick from. A couple pictures were hung on the wall, a long rug laid beneath his feet, and a short two shelf bookcase was all that he could see around him. Grinding his teeth Edward stared down at the small bookcase for a heartbeat - Maybe!

An ear piercing scream caused Edward to stumble a couple steps back. Bracing himself against the wall it seemed to take all of his strength to restrain himself from bursting into the room right then. It would do neither of them any good for him to make a rash decision now. He needed to keep some sense of control. For Nicole's sake!

After taking in a couple of deep breaths he leaned down and, with a soft grunt, he jerked his hands to remove one of the side posts off of the bookcase. It gave away with a sharp snap. Edward paused, holding his breath, and listened to see if the man had heard anything.

Please God...I hope he didn't hear anything, Edward prayed silently as he watched for a shadow of movement beneath the door.

All that came out of the room was another wail of pain, followed by a crazed laugh. He felt a chill go down his back as he listened to it. The man in there with Nicole had to be a mad man - positively certifiable!

Straightening himself, Edward tightened his grip around the pole. It wasn't much, but if he could just get in a couple good hits...

Shaking his head he gathered himself. He knew that once he went through that door, entered that room, there would be no turning back.

Not that he would even think about leaving Nicole to that monster but there was only one option once he went in there. Only one sure way that both he and Nicole would make it out of this alive.

The man that came into their home...the man that knocked him unconscious...the one that is doing God knows what to Nicole, his Nicole!! Would have to die...