Chapter 4 The Girl in the Morgue

Okay so I'm going to include a teensy tiny bit of Sherlolly in this chapter but hardly any because this isn't a pairing fan fic. Just a bit to please any Sherlolly fans that might be reading this (I hope there is at least one). If you are then please please please commentThanks!

***

Evanna's POV 

Sherlock called a man named Lestrade and told him to authorize my mother's body to be sent to the morgue in a London hospital called 'St Bartholomew's' because the only 'competent' person he could count on to do a post-mortem worked there. I assumed this was the 'Molly' person he had referred to previously.

I felt a lot better once we got back to London. The way Sherlock was frantically running about I didn't have time to stop and feel sorry for myself. I took control of my emotions and told myself that the only thing to do now was to solve the case. Unfortunately this meant partnering with my uncle who was getting on my nerves; I had no idea how John could stand living with him. We wasted no time in going to St Bart's and we were greeted by 'Molly'.

"Molly we need to see the body of a recent arrival. Alia Holmes? I assume her paperwork hasn't gone through yet" said Sherlock, marching in without so much as a 'hello'.

Molly was a pretty girl, young-looking, but the bags under her big eyes were the result of late nights, stress, and hard work. She obviously took her job very seriously. She stared up at Sherlock, her mouth wide open, then she glanced down at her clipboard.

"Erm...er...yeah sure...Wait. Alia Holmes?!" she exclaimed.

"Yes Molly catch on will you"

"I...I..." Molly stumbled across her words.

"Hi!" I stepped forward, saving her from further embarrassment. "You must be Molly. Yes, Sherlock's told me great things about you!"

Her cheeks flushed a bright red colour. This woman had a crush on Sherlock- her first big mistake. And the second? She couldn't hide it.

"I'm Evanna Holmes, Alia was my mother," I continued despite her confused look. "Well I suppose that's what death does, no? Turns the 'is' to 'was'. Alia was Sherlock's sister he never knew of, which makes me his niece I guess." I flashed a smile which she cautiously returned.

"So Molly? The body?" said Sherlock, impatiently rocking on the balls of his feet.

Her eyes returned back to meet Sherlock's blue-grey ones. That was when I noticed something very strange. His pupils- they dilated. Either that meant he was on drugs (which I knew was a possibility regarding his younger years as a junkie), or he felt affection towards this woman. I dismissed this thought, knowing that Sherlock Holmes was as ice cold as Jack Frost.

"Yes, erm follow me" she said, gesturing for us to accompany her into a room.

When we were all inside she said she needed to wash her hands and I volunteered to go with her. If she was to be a helpful asset to solving this murder, it would be beneficial to befriend her.

"So how long have you known Sherlock?" I asked her as she scrubbed up by the sinks.

"A few years," she replied. "He came in one day asking to examine the body of a man we were sure had died of natural causes. I wasn't supposed to let him but as a result he found out he'd actually been murdered- little holes peppered between his toes that's how! It was astounding. Since then i've been secretly giving him body parts for his experiments and access practically everywhere. I guess it's just his talent that makes me want to risk my job for him."

I gave her a judging look. "Look Molly, I know your feelings for him. And don't deny it" I added when she opened her mouth in protest.

"What's the point though? I'm only good for one thing for him and that's cutting up dead bodies"

"Not the most glamorous of roles i'll admit" I laughed. "But he trusts you and he cares! I may have only known him for a day but I have high empathy levels- I known how he truly feels"

She nodded, drying her hands.

"Now let's get back. An impatient Sherlock is a moody Sherlock. Well, moodier than usual" I said making her giggle.

Sherlock's POV

"How long do women take in the bathroom?!" I shouted at John, pacing up and down. "And the go in pairs! Or threes! Or a huge group! Why? You have experience with women John. WHY?"

"Sherlock, calm down. It's a mystery lost in time. They'll be here soon."

I breathed out heavily through my nose. I knew they would get on well but this was ridiculous! 

Finally they walked back in. "Took your time" I muttered under my breath. Obviously I wasn't quiet enough because Evanna gave me a look that could kill. I sarcastically smiled back.

"Here she is," said Molly, pulling open a drawer and unzipping the silver bag.

"Done any chemical tests?" I asked her, studying the cut on Alia's neck.

"Actually yes. I found quite a fatal dose of Ketamine in her system. Not exactly what I would expect."

I turned around to look at her and repeated. "Ketamine?"

"That's a strong painkiller. I remember the lads being given it to deal with pain after limb surgery. Not nice stuff." added John, sighing and looking at the floor. Memories of Afghanistan still haunted him.

"Not exactly prescription or pharmacy level stuff- especially a dose that high" said Molly.

"So that's what killed her..." I whispered.

"I found traces round that jugular incision" she said.

"Hang on," said John. "Ketamine has hallucinogenic properties- a dose like that would send her crazy."

I nodded, this murder was more brutal than I first thought. "And the writing?" I asked Molly.

"I haven't had  a chance to examine it yet" she said.

"I'll come back and do that later" I said, making a mental note.

"I'm here on Thursday if you like" she said, smiling meekly. 

I returned the smile. "It's a date" I said, and promptly walked out of the room, sensing her gaze on my back.

Once Evanna and John had said goodbye and caught up with me I had already hailed a taxi.

"So..." said Evanna, sitting down opposite me. "Molly's nice..."

I shrugged. "She's capable," I said simply.

***

Once again, any character building tips are very welcome. Have I got the right voices for the characters? Please vote too if you don't think it's awful and I'm wasting my time talking to myself.