Chapter 7 A Peculiar Tale

Evanna's POV

"I'm going to St Bart's!" exclaimed Sherlock, closing the door behind him.

Me, John, and Mrs Hudson were still sitting hours later at the kitchen table drinking coffee. I hadn't realized it was Thursday already and Sherlock had arranged for use of the mortuary lab to investigate the cryptic writings. My uncle had seemed so absorbed in thought nowadays that I spent the majority of my time in the company of John and Mrs Hudson. I didn't mind at all, they were lovely people, and they kept me from thinking about current matters too much.

I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep tonight anyway, so I downed my fifth cup of coffee like there was no tomorrow.

"Darling slow down on the caffeine, its not good for you" said Mrs Hudson, placing a comforting hand on my shoulder.

"Sherlock needs nicotine when he's stressed, and you need caffeine" nodded John. "I can see the family trait"

I smiled at them both. "I'm not stressed" I lied. "This is all just a bit overwhelming that's all"

They both smiled at me as I poured myself another cup.

"Listen Evanna" said John. "That day, at your house, when you deduced the crime scene, it was amazing." When I scoffed he continued. "No really! I mean it. Since being around Sherlock I don't get impressed easily but that was really something. Complete Holmes deduction. Plus, to do that in the environment you were in was nothing short of brilliant"

I smiled shyly, I'd never been complimented for my skills -even the teachers at school though I was some sort of freak. "Thanks John. But really everything's there if you just look for it"

"But John's right dear. You're taking this very well. You're a strong girl" said Mrs Hudson as she patted my hand.

"To the well organized mind, death is but the next great adventure" I quoted from my favourite book. "And although I may have lost my mother, I found two new relatives. Not to mention two new friends"

They both blushed and muttered an "Oh stop it" under their breaths.

"I like Sherlock" I continued.

"Even if he is an arrogant git sometimes" mumbled John.

"Noone's arguing that!" I laughed. "But, even so, I feel like we're two sides of the same coin"

"I know he thinks that of you too" said Mrs Hudson. "The coin bit I mean!" she added hurriedly.

As if right on cue, Sherlock burst through the door, a triumphant look in his eyes. He was just about to say something when he noticed us smiling soppily at him.

"What?" he asked, his forehead creased in confusion. "What happened?" 

"Oh nothing dear" said Mrs Hudson innocently. "Now sit down, I'll pour you a coffee, and you tell us your news Sherlock"

Sherlock's POV 

I arrived at the mortuary and was let into the lab by a highly eager and overexcited Molly.

"Would you like anything to eat?"

I sighed and rolled my eyes. "Digestion slows me down remember? I've told you that before Molly, pay attention"

"Just asking..." she muttered under her breath and walked out. I ignored her.

I retrieved the swab sample of the dye and took out the photographs I had taken of some of the writing. I had been staring at the pictures for days, going to my Mind Palace for any kind of code that might relate to it and help me crack the message. Plus I didn't know whether it was her who did it or the murderer. Or to whom the message was directed towards.