Chapter Seventeen

DD: Hey, guys. We're here. We've made it. This is the first book I've ever spent this long on and finished. I hope you guys enjoy the final chapter and that it didn't ruin the book. Oh, and I also want to say that I'm completely against the death penalty, but it fits for the story.

-DDLDHoW-

The apartment was dingy – at best.

The originally purple walls were yellowing, and the carpet was a mix between muddy brown and bile green. The beds – two twin beds that had been pushed together to make a double – had ominous stains on the mattresses.

The television was a stocky, grey box and the only channel it seemed to have was constant static.

There was a rickety bedside table with a magazine from 2010 on it. Inside was a faded copy of The Bible and two condoms.

The only redeeming part of the room was the black and white tiled bathroom, and that was ruined by the filth of the shower and the bugs crawling along the walls.

Heru sat on the edge of the bed, gripping an open notebook tightly. His tanned knuckles were on the verge of turning white from his grip.

Three indistinguishable words were written on the paper, and although he kept the pen pressed to the page, Heru didn't write anything else.

Every few minutes, he would look up at the door, and finally, he heard someone knock.

His eyes lit up as he leapt off the bed.

He was already at the door before his expression grew guarded. "Akefia?"

He heard someone snort on the other side of the door. "Who else would walk up three flights of stairs because of the broken elevator in this shithole and knock on your door specifically?"

Heru grinned and yanked open the door.

Before Akefia knew what was happening, Heru had thrown his arms around his neck.

Akefia chuckled and returned the hug tightly. "So no one came into the room to stab you?" He teased, though he stroked Heru's tame silver hair.

"Shut up," Heru muttered into the crook of Akefia's neck. "You know I'm-"

"Used to marble floors and silken robes?"

Heru pulled back – just enough to scowl at Akefia. "I was going to say that I'm not used to Japan."

Akefia snickered. "I know. I just like teasing you."

Heru rolled his eyes and walked back into the apartment with Akefia following him. "So how'd it go?" Heru asked as he sat on the bed.

The mattress sagged under him, despite his light weight.

Akefia scratched the top of his head. "It was a bit weird." Heru raised an eyebrow. "Someone opened the door, shoved a pillow in my face, called me 'Mar-Kura', told me to go back to bed and closed the door again. Without letting me inside."

Heru stared at him for a moment. "Are you sure that's what they said? Your Japanese could still use some work."

Akefia nodded. "I'm sure."

Heru covered his mouth to hide a giggle. "Well that's what you get for showing up at a house in the middle of the night."

Akefia huffed and leaned against the wall. "So sue me; I want to see my little brother again."

Heru sighed. "I know you do. But you need to take the time difference into consideration."

"It's only ten."