Chapter 24

Chapter 24

A day passed already and nothing from Clare.  The cameras were up and rolling and I was just a happy sitting duck, waiting for my punishment.  We didn't want to take a big risk with a lot of cameras.  So we were okay with only placing two up - one that covered the entire living room and one up in my bedroom.  I was happy with that because I figured those were the most likely places she would attack me.  I was anxious with anticipation, often glancing to the cameras if I was present and wondering if they were hidden well enough.  I figured they were though.  I mean, the one in the living room being placed high up in the edge of the window, hidden by the curtains, it was the best spot.  You couldn't even see it unless looking hard for it and it wasn't as if Clare bothered with the blinds or anything near the window.  The one in my room was sitting up on my dresser in the back corner, covered by a stack of clean clothes set there from laundry.   So everything was ready for action I guess you could say.

The next day after the phone call, I figured she would strike.  I was filled to the top with anticipation yet, she acted as if nothing happened when she got home from work. Nothing.  In that time she could have done something but she didn't.  It put me even more closer to a nervous breakdown.  I wanted this over with! I could tell by the time Luke arrived home from work a few hours later, he was clearly on edge too.  The second he walked through the door, his eyes wouldn't stop searching me silently, as if in desperate search for a sign of abuse.  But with only a slight shake of my head, he understood nothing strangely happened and we went back to acting normal around Clare again. 

I didn't know what she was up to.  All I knew was the fact that she was up to something.  It made me nervous but I figured her route of doing this would be to 'punish' me at a time that wasn't a few hours before Luke got home.  I was guessing she would do it on the weekend because Luke had to work a day on Saturday.  It would give her that whole day... so I wasn't concerned any longer about it happening on a school day like today.

That's why I was freely, happily relaxed with no weight of nervousness.  I was laying on the couch, exhausted after getting up extra early this morning (thanks to the little pup's constant crying to be pampered with my fingers over his fur; he was a little cry baby was what he was).  And after that came school so I wasn't exactly fully awake.   The moment I walked through the door, let Jack out, got comfortable... you can bet my ass had a date with Mr. Couch. 

Jack pounced against me through after jumping up on the couch.  Laying on my back, I glanced down towards where he was rubbing against me where he jumped against my side.  Smirking down at the little guy, I noticed he had dragged up one of his friends with him - a green soft squeaky toy.  Freezing, as if knowing my eyes caught him, his tail was all that moved back and forth and slowly, he slyly looked up to me with the toy in his mouth.  

The next moment, he moved swiftly, making me laugh when he jumped right up on me with his toy.  Smiling, I sifted my fingers through his hair along his back as he slowly started to inch his way up higher against me, climbing up to my chest where he finally settled, his nose nearly touching mine.  Laughing slightly, I could feel his toy against my neck and I knew what he wanted with that wagging tail.

"You're funny Jack," I smiled.  "But now..." I said in a slightly lighter voice.  "I'm going to get your toy!" I squealed in a higher tone and grabbed it instantly before he could react. And when he did... oh he was more than determined to get his toy back I was teasing him with. I turned over on my side as he scrambled to my outstretching hand and I knew he wouldn't give up now until he had the satisfaction of winning his green fuzzy friend back.

So much for relaxing I guess you could say.  Jack was a special exception though.  I could never tire of playing with him.  My time with him ended quickly though.