Chapter Seventeen

I would like to thank Kitbaker123 for beta'ing this for me. Just to let you know there is only one chapter to go. Which I am working on now.  The end of chapter 16 had been deleted.   I have now edited that.

XXXXX

Fornell just stared at Sacks in disbelief. "What the fuck were you thinking? Wait, you weren't obviously."

Ron hated to see the disappointed look on the face of his mentor, the man he loved. Once again, DiNozzo had messed things up for him. If he was going down he wasn't going down alone. He had made the NCIS agents carry out some recon and get footage of where the attempted kidnapping was going to take place. He had a recording of their conversation in the café and of them discussing the recon, and what they found. He also had the emails that they had sent him.

"Look, it was a great plan, even McGee and Ziva agreed." Sacks smirked at the look on Gibbs' face.

Gibbs knew that they would somehow be involved: their talking to Sacks had been weird. They had obviously felt Sacks' plan would benefit them, as their own had kept getting blocked. It hadn't taken them long to move from Tony being 'blamed' to him being kidnapped and possibly killed. If DiNozzo had died they would have been next and that was a promise he would've kept.

They had made sure that the two teammates had been kept away from this. They were back at NCIS doing research. The BAU, Fornell, Sacks, Vance and himself were the only ones that knew what had happened to Tony. Abby was going to be devastated; he'd better keep her away from them.

"Ron, please explain to me what your plan was? What you were thinking? I'm at a loss to understand this." Fornell had taken a deep breath and managed to calm down a little. He couldn't fathom how using another agent as bait for a serial killer was a good idea.

Sacks pointed to Reid, who was reading the letters they'd received. "It was a good plan. The profilers will tell you that, once they read those letters. We would've caught the killer if DiNozzo hadn't messed up by going in earlier than normal."

Derek shook his head in amazement, and held up his hand. "Wait a minute. Let's recap. Tony goes to a coffee shop, the same one every day, sure, but it was normally later on, as working for Gibbs you don't work average hours, and then the unsub was there a day early. Tony has no idea he has to watch his back, because you didn't tell him about this 'plan' and yet this is his fault?"

"Well..." Sacks' voice was uncertain. He'd been so concentrated on his hatred for DiNozzo that he hadn't looked at anything else, especially not the big picture. He still had those letters that would back him up and the show the BAU that he would make a perfect team member. Then he could show Fornell how good they would be together.

Reid looked over at Hotch, the pieces of paper crinkling under his fingers as his hand tightened around them. He was so furious he couldn't speak.

"I wish you'd have come straight to us Agent Sacks." Hotch replied coldly. His anger heightened at the smirk on the other agents face. "These letters aren't what you think. They were sent to you as a test. A test that you failed for us, and because of that failure, and if we can't find him in time, Agent DiNozzo will pay the price for that with his life."

Gibbs moved quickly towards Sacks, but Fornell managed to grab hold of his old friend and stop him. Sacks squeaked in fear as he jumped from his seat and scrambled as far away as he could get.

"You always think about yourself, Ron. Why did you become an agent? You aren't a team player." Fornell didn't think he would ever understand why this had happened.

"I would've been a team player for you." Sacks ducked his head shyly.

Fornell just stared at him in confusion. The BAU caught on quickly.