Chapter 5

'Gibbs.' Tony silently pleaded to his boss.

Gibbs could see in the younger man's eyes it was something he wanted to do. Did it mean that he was eventually hoped to move over there. He sighed; the main thing was that this could be the first sign of an apology to his second in command. He just wanted to clear up a few things first.

'Office.' Gibbs indicated towards the elevator. Once Tony had started to move he turned around to the others. 'We'll be back in a minute.'

'Why would they want Tony?' McGee wondered.

'Agent McGee they want Agent DiNozzo because of his skill set. He has proved himself over and over again what an excellent agent he is. That is why he has been attached to top secret missions. If you also have time for idle chit chat I assume that means you do not have enough work. I will make sure Agent Gibbs rectifies that situation immediately.' Vance explained calmly. He had heard stories about McGee when he first arrived. What happened to that man who was eager to learn? This was not a change for the better. He'd better speak to Gibbs and see if they could sort out a plan of attack together. McGee and Ziva had to be told how much they had been let away with, and how that is no longer acceptable. It shouldn't have been allowed in the first place, but it had and they had to move forward from it.

McGee ducked his head down and stared at the folder on his desk. He wondered what had happened to the director use to treat him better. That had definitely changed. What had Tony said or done to get everything to change? He preferred it how it used to be.

XXXXX

Gibbs reached over and flicked the switch.

Tony looked around the tiny box. 'I wonder if this thing has ever broken down when we've been out on a case? It wouldn't dare not work for you boss.' Tony grinned, the smile faded when he saw the look on Gibbs face. 'What's wrong?'

'I'm sorry Tony.' Gibbs held up his hand before he could be interrupted. 'I know it's a rule, but in this case an apology is a necessity. I should have stopped them ages ago, McGee and Ziva.' He clarified.

'It's not just your fault. I could have said something, written them up. I…' Tony stopped talking for a moment. 'I can't talk about it here. There could end up a lot being said.'

'If you finish with the BAU at a reasonable time come around and I'll cook.' Gibbs offered.

Tony paused for a moment. That wasn't what he expected. He thought that Gibbs would clam up and try to move on. 'Uhhh Gibbs…'

'If you don't want to or have a date don't worry about it.' Gibbs back peddled feeling a little embarrassed.

'No, I don't have a date tonight. I'll let you know when I'm finished.' Tony jumped at the chance to spend any extra time with Gibbs. He liked just being around the older man.

'Ok, so this BAU is something you want to do? Vance isn't pushing you into it, is he?' Gibbs wanted to make sure that everything was on the level.

Tony smiled he loved the fact that Gibbs was concerned about him. 'It's something I want to do. Vance has been really good actually.' He paused for a moment and noticed concern on Gibbs face. 'There's more wrong isn't there? What is it?'

'Do you want to move over there? Is that what this is all about?' Gibbs finally answered.

'I haven't any plans for that. I am only there to help this with this case.' Tony replied.

'Ok, so see you tonight.' Gibbs was glad that he had said yes. They did need to talk. He didn't like the fact that the way Tony had phrased about not having a date. It sounded like he was seeing someone. It must be serious if he hadn't mentioned anything about this woman.

XXXXX

Vance watched the elevator start up again and the two men walk out when the doors finally open. Tony was the only person that could take everything that Gibbs' could dish out. He was able to do that after all these years of that kind of abuse. To still respect the man, and still work with him Vance didn't want to know what DiNozzo's childhood had been like for this to be a step up. It also made him feel worse for he thought and talked about the younger man.

'If you need anything Tony, just call ok?' Gibbs gave him a quick smile.

Tony's breath got caught in his chest. Gibbs had never smiled at him like that before. 'I will.' There was definitely something in the air between him and Vance, he was very confused. He hoped that he got some answers tonight.

McGee and Ziva just turned and stared at each other. They had no idea what was going on and they didn't like being left out of the loop. These new changes weren't something either of them was happy with. They liked things how they use to be.

McGee grabbed his cell and sent a text to Ziva. They had to get together and figure out how they could get things back to the way it was.

XXXXX

Hotch stood in the BAU once again he was trying to get rid of Agent Sacks. He had no idea why this man was so determined to be a part of them, especially one that wasn't a people person.

Hotch was about to tell him to leave when a tall, muscular green-eyed, good-looking man walked in. He noticed the demeanour of Sacks' change, and a grin appeared on the strangers face.

'Well if it isn't Agent Slacks.' DiNozzo grinned at him.

TBC