Chapter 5. Essentially a Filler

The next day you tried your best to work with your sprained arm. Mostly because you didn't want Bucky to feel worse than he already did. He was correct though, a bruise started to form about midday. Occasionally you'd catch him staring at it when you were working, and you'd quickly get him to focus his attention elsewhere. Besides, this wasn't the first time you'd gotten hurt in this type of situation.

Bucky was helpful throughout the day, but his mind was distant. You tried to keep up a dialogue every once in a while because of last night's events. Most times you'd fall short. While you made lunch you asked him if he'd like a can of coke.

"They still have Coca Cola?" He asked in genuine shock. You chuckled a bit.

"Sure do. Did they have cherry coke back in your time?" He nodded.

"If you went down to the diner on the corner they'd put some cherry flavoring in it for you. Stevie and I used to go get that every friday." He babbled on. Then he stopped in shock of his memory. "I didnt- I didn't know I remembered that." His eyes were wide and he looked like a child who just discovered something new. You smiled at him and brought him a can.

"That's great Bucky." You sat down the can. You'd already popped the top on the off chance he didn't know how to do it. Anything that could save him a bit of embarrassment you were willing to do. "Now we have the cherry already in the coke though." He looked down at it in wonder.

"That's neat." He said with a small smile. It was the first genuine smile he'd given you since he'd been here. And the small gesture made you want to clap and cheer.

"Do you remember anything else about the diner?" You said softly. You sat down at the table with him. You didn't want to be too forceful with helping him regain his memory. Just a small push in the direction.

Bucky popped the top of the can and took a small sip. His eyebrows raised and he licked his lips slightly.

"Damn." He said with a small sigh. He paused to think about your question. You could almost see the wheels turning as he concentrated on bringing something forth from his memory. "I think Steve would always get a burger. Extra fries and a milkshake. He was always trying to gain weight." He tapped the side of his can with a metal finger. "I'd get... a grilled cheese." He said happily. You nodded for him to go on. "With pickles in the sandwich. It was the best. I never got fries though. I don't think- " He paused and tapped the side of his head. "I don't think i like potatos?" You gasped and he looked at you in confusion.

"How can you not like potatoes!!" You practically screeched.

"I just dont. I cant remember why." You giggled.

"That's practically a sin down here in the south. You haven't lived till you've tried my potato gratin." He wrinkled his nose.

"What's in it?" He asked with concern.

"Potatos, onion, cheese." You listed it off. He looked disgusted and you couldn't help but laugh. "Alright so no potato gratin. That's covered. But I can do grilled cheese with pickles. Dill or sweet?" He gave a small smile.

"Dill. I hate sweet pickles."

"You know that for sure?"

"Absolutely positive." You took a sip of your coke and listened as he described what he could remember about the diner. Until you heard your phone ring and you ran to get it.

"Hello." You said while looking up at Bucky. He was studying the can of cherry coke and tracing the design with his finger tip.

"Hey (Y/N)? This is Steve Rogers." The deep baritone voice answered.