Chapter 8. Carnival

You groaned when Bucky inquired about your clothing before the Carnival.

"Yes. This is what I'm wearing." You said icly. He looked you up and down again, raising an eyebrow.

"Isnt that a little- y'know -Casual?" He asked carefully. Bucky stood in front of you in a pair of dark jeans and an untucked dark blue button up. He had shaven nicely, and slicked back his long hair behind his ears. Ever since you had given him the money, Bucky seemed to have a more expansive wardrobe. You didnt know how he was getting the stuff, seeing as the keys to the truck were always kept in your room. You supposed he might have walked- or ran. Town was reasonably far for a normal person. But for a super soldier the distance was probably next to nothing.

"Its a Carnival, Bucky, not Prom." You grumbled hotly, grabbing your wallet and stuffing it in your pocket. You wore one of your nicer flannels, blue and black, paired with a reasonable pair of light jeans. Your workboots were still on, but you didnt see a problem with the outfit?

"Well i figured you'd want to look nice to see all your old friends." He pointed out. You let out a short laugh and pushed past him to let Sammy out the back door.

"None of those people are my friends." You said with a bitter smile. "Are you ready?" You asked him. Bucky shrugged slightly and shifted his weight. "If you think you arent ready-"

"No. I am." He insisted. "I need this." He said almost pleading. You nodded. This would be Bucky's first real time in the public, putting aside the grocery store trips.

"Alright."

----------

Every hair on the back of your neck stood when you walked through the Carnival entrance. It felt, wrong, to be here. All you wanted to do was run back to the truck with Bucky in tow. The whole town park was decorated in red white and blue streamers, the ticket booth was bright red and proudly displayed the prices.

Mrs Proudy was the known gossip of your town. If anything happened, she knew every detail and exactly how to exagerrate it to townsmember. You had never seen her eyes bulge more than when you walked up to the counter in front of the largest built man she had ever seen.

"(Y/N) (L/N)!" She exclaimed in utter shock. She looked you up and down before turning to the other woman next to her. "Am I seeing straight Carol? Is that really her?" Carol's jaw was dropped as she stared obviously at Bucky. He shied away from her gaze and found a focal point on the ground.

"Hello Mrs. Proudy." You greeted politely. "Two tickets please." You asked attempted to shake off the many questions she most likely had. Mrs. Proudy opened her mouth to let the floodgates fly. You could tell she couldnt wait to get your whole lifestory. However, to your good fortune, Carol tapped Mrs Proudy on the arm, signalling her of the line that was quickly building behind you. She sighed and exchanged your money, but the glint in her eye said she wouldnt be letting you go easy.

You grabbed Bucky by the arm and tugged him inside the Carnival. His eyes searched the crowds wildly, stimulants on every corner.

"So, what do you want to do first?" You asked uncomfortably. Bucky's eyes bulged as he searched the crowds of people. His eyes drowned in the various carts and stands set up on either side. He looked utterly and completely lost.

"I-uh...um" He sputtered out. His hands grasped at the side of his pants displaying his uncomfortability. Finally, his eyes fell upon something familiar. He stood straight and he whirled around to face you. "Cotton Candy!" He exclaimed just a tad too loud. You could help laugh at his changed demeanor.

"They had cotton candy in the 20s?" You asked with a giggle. He nodded adamantly.

"Hurry!" He grabbed your arm and pulled you in the direction of the stand. When you reached the line Buckt began rambling. "Becky and I used to take day trips to Coney Island. We didn't have the money for our own puff but we could share one." He said staring at the clouds of sugar.

"You remember Becky?" You asked, getting excited. Bucky winced.

"Yes? Maybe. It's still really foggy." He admitted. "I know who she is now." You smiled.

"That's great Buck." You beamed at him. He looked down at your face and smiled back, and for a moment all he cared about was how proud you were.

"Next!" A gruff voice in front of you broke through your haze.

"Whoops!" You sputtered out. You both hadn't noticed that the line had drastically moved to where you were the first in line. Bucky stepped forward.

"Two please." He ordered confidentially. You reached into your back pocket for your wallet but he stopped you. "I've got this." He smiled and pulled out cash. "Is uh- 20$ enough?" He asked the attendant, who nodded back feverantly. You giggled and took your treat happily. You both began to walk through the crowds.

"You know that was far too much for these right?" You asked with a laugh. Bucky looked at the ground sheepishly.

"I still don't get prices these days...they are so high!" You threw your head back and laughed.

"How much was cotton candy when you grew up?" You teased.

"40 cents!" He exclaimed. You both laughed loudly together as you walked through the carnival. For the first time in a long time, you were having genuine fun. And Bucky well, you were very happy to be there with him.

But your bliss was soon cut short by several girls from highschool stepping in your way. You hadn't seen any of them since John's funeral, and before that was graduation. They looked a Bucky with a strange sense of curiosity.

"(Y/N)!" They squealed. You backed up a bit, and we're surprised to see Bucky step in front of you slightly.

"Hi Mary Ann, Mary Sue, Mary Ellis." You greeted flatly. They ignored Bucky's glare and reached for your arm.

"How are you!? It's been AGES!" Mary Ann squealed.

"Like, do you even live in town?!" Mary Sue asked.

"And who is your friend?" Mary Ellis asked giving Bucky a seductive glare.

"Um, I'm good, Yes I live in town, and uh...This is James." You gestured to Bucky and he gave an uncomfortable wave. "And uh- we need to be going...BYE!" You squeaked out as you grabbed Bucky's arm.

Within seconds you had maneuvered through the crowds and lost the Marys. You wanted loudly while Bucky looked at you quizzically.

"Why did we run from them? I know it was awkward but it was manageable." He insisted.

"Those girls don't care about me Buck.  They tortured me all through highschool, and only when my brother died did they actually become interested in me." You grunted. Bucky frowned, but shrugged.

"If you say so, wanna go ride the Ferris wheel?"