Chapter 11. Guests

"Of course I'm coming down!" Steve yelled. "Your house got broken into! I can't leave you guys there alone to fend for yourselves!" You sighed and held the phone slightly away from your face to shield you from his screaming.

"Steve I promise it's not a big deal. I just thought you ought to know just in case." You said with a grumble.

"The fact that there even is a 'just in case' is exactly why im coming!" He shouted.

"Steve! We can handle ourselves!" You insisted. "Bucky is a trained supersoldier for christ's sake, you should have seen him when we went to investigate the living room afte-"

"You went in there!? When someone could have been inside?! What were you two thinking..." Steve trailed off, talking to someone on his side of the phone. "-yeah here she is." He said quickly and you heard a pause before a familiar voice came through.

"How do you manage to piss off the star spangled man with a plan?" Sam chuckled. You smiled

"It's a talent." you admitted. "Now put him back on so I can start making fun of his tights." Sam laughed.

"When you can move like he does in something other than spandex then feel free to poke fun." He said. "He means well though. You know how much he worries about Bucky."

"I know." You said defeated. "I dont think its necessary for him to come babysit us, things are going so well."

"You'll have to tell about how well its going soon." He said with a smile in his voice. You grinned and shook your head, turning to lean on the kitchen counter.

"I miss you." You said sadly. "Why do i only get to talk to you when I call Steve?" You asked accusedly.

"Because I don't own a phone." He admitted. "But don't worry, I think we will see eachother soon." He chuckled. "Very soon actually."  You opened your mouth to question him when you were stopped by the doorbell ringing loudly. "What? I-"

"I'll get it." Bucky said walking into the kitchen.

"No wait-" You began but Bucky opened the door too soon, revealing a very angry super soldier and his very smug friend. You dropped your phone and glared.

"Really!? I had this covered!" You threw up your arms. Bucky surged forward and grabbed Steve in a bear hug.

"She did." Bucky agreed with a laugh. "But Im glad youre here anyways." He said separating his hug.

"I'm sure she did." Sam said with a laugh before grabbing you for a hug. The warmth of his broad chest made all you stress ease away. In highschool Sam could stop you from crying in thirty seconds flat just by holding you. He was, and always will be, your rock.

"I absolutely did." You pouted. Sam let you go and steve replaced him, giving you a quick side hug.

"Look." Steve said pointedly. "It's very rare for coincidences to happen to people like us." He gestured towards himself, Sam, and Bucky. "The fact that someone just happened to break into the house that is housing an internationally wanted ex-assassin can't just be a coincidence. " He explained. "We just want to stay by for a while, check things out. Make sure you are both safe."

"Fine." You grunted. "But you-" You pointed at Steve, "Are going to have to crash on the couch. We don't have any spare beds." You noticed Bucky giving you a funny look, but you brushed it off. "Sam can sleep in my room." You gestured to your best friend. Bucky stared at you and you couldn't quite place his feelings.

"I'll just sleep on the floor in Buck's room, if that's okay with you man?" He asked. Bucky nodded.

"Yeah if you want to get blankets and stuff they are in the closet down the hall." He responded, his eyes not leaving yours.

"Great!" Sam said cheerfully. "I'll go get the bags from the car if you wanna go handle the bed situation Steve." He leaned over and kissed you on the cheek, earning a groan of disgust from you. "I'll be right back." He said with a wink. You rolled your eyes.

"No rush." You grumbled wiping off your cheek. Within seconds you were alone in the living room with Bucky.

"Sams sleeping in your room?" Bucky asked sternly. You gave him a funny look.

"Yeah, we've been sharing beds since we were 5." You said confused. His eyes widened.

"Isn't that a little...inappropriate?" Bucky asked. You laughed.

"There is about as much sexual tension between me and Sam as there is between you and Steve." You explained. "He's never been anything more than a friend to me." Bucky nodded.
"Okay." He shrugged. He stepped closer to you and his voice got quieter. "Why can't they stay in the spare room?" He asked. Your heart sank.

"Oh." You gulped. "Nobody stays in there." You admitted. He cocked his head slightly.

"Why?'' He asked.

"Its Johns room." You said before you walked to your room.

------------

"So then she says, 'You don't look like youre a member of the California Ramblers.' and Steve says, 'yeah I get that a lot.' and then she throws her drink in his face!" Bucky roars laughing. You and Sam cackle next to him at the table, while Steve grumbles.

"Convenient that you only remember the stories that embarrass me and not you." Steve says with a groan. "And in my defense, how was I supposed to know she was a huge fan!" You giggled watching the two soldiers banter back and forth.

"Anyone want any pie? I remade the Pumpkin." You asked loudly. Bucky perked up and looked up at you with a happy grin.

"Sure!" He responded enthusiastically. "I'll help you in the kitchen." He got up quickly and went to the kitchen ahead of you. Steve and Sam watched him with intense gazes, occasionally moving to look up at you.

Bucky went ahead and got the pie out of the oven where it was resting and picked up the pie cutter.

"I can do that." You piped up, reaching to grab the spatula from his hand. He quickly jerked it away from you and smiled.

"I've got it." He said happily. "I'll just bring it out to everybody if you want to go sit down."

"No it's fine you go sit down." You instructed. "I'll go ahead and serve it." You insisted. He shook his head.

"No." He said with a smirk. You haven't really seen this side of Bucky before, maybe Steve was bringing it up. He had been so confident tonight, cocky and assertive. You weren't sure how you felt about it.

"Its my pie!" You said exasperated. Bucky let out a short laugh before Sam walked in the kitchen.

"You both argue like an old married couple." He said with a low chuckle. "We can hear you on the other side of the house. Just give me the damn pie cutter and go sit the hell down." You felt your cheeks get hot and you avoided Bucky's gaze.

"Fine." You said dejected, and you headed back to the table where Steve sat with his arms crossed. Bucky stayed in the kitchen, and by the noises exiting it you could tell he had continued his pursuit to cut the pie. You sat down across from Steve and gave him a half smile.

"He is doing really well." Steve admitted. "I feel like his memory is almost completely back." You nodded.

"A lot of it has returned, but some things are still gone. I think it really hurts him to know he cant remember them, thats why hes been working so hard lately." You admitted. Steve nodded and looked back at the kitchen.

"You two seem to really get along." He said with a small smile. "Honestly I dont think ive seen him this happy since before I went in the ice." Your heart pounded and you looked down at the table, confused about how you felt. "Whatever you are doing (Y/N), its working."