Admissions

Sleep eluded Danny that night. Confused images from old memories tangled with the video game. Over and over he watched a planet being shredded to pieces, not sure if it was his own memory, not sure if it was his planet, not sure of anything. Several times he woke up in a cold sweat, gasping for breath as if he'd been running.

He stood up. The feeling of his bare feet on the cold floor made him feel more centered as he headed to the bathroom for a drink of water. A sick gnawing sensation had settled in his stomach. It had been year since he'd thought about his past. Sometimes it was so distant, he almost forgot about his former life. The contacts and the tanning appointments were just part of life now. It was hard to remember that his family wasn't really his.

But as he filled a glass at the bathroom sink, Danny looked at himself in the mirror. His contacts were out for the night, so his naturally black and green eyes glowed back at him.

No. He always remembered that he wasn't human. He could never play sports, for the risk of hurting himself and bleeding green blood. He could never go out without his contacts. He could never index himself into Space Corps for information about Halphas. He would always be forced to live a fake life. A half life.

...............................................................

"It's here it's here it's here!" Jazz squealed, hurtling into Danny's room without knocking.

"Mmph... Wha-?" Danny groaned, unearthing himself from the bed covers.

"The Casper Institute test results!" She announced, holding a glossy white envelope out to him. "And I'd say it's pretty darn thick!"

Danny rubbed his eyes and reached for the letter. After over a week of waiting, the tension had calmed a little. But now it hit him with full force. He could barely keep his hands from shaking as he split open the letter.

Daniel Fenton,

The Casper Institute board of admissions is pleased to inform you that you have met all requirements for attendance of our program. Should you choose to accept this invitation, you must report to the Casper Institute processing office at 15:00 on the 19th of April. There final interviews and aptitude tests will be administered.

Congratulations on your acceptance. Your score results, class options, and class contact information is enclosed.

Sincerely,

Headmaster Ishiyama

Danny slowly lowered the letter. Jazz hopped on the spot, eyes glowing.

"What did it say?" she asked.

"I... I got in," he breathed.

"I. Got. In!"

He leapt to his feet and seized Jazz in a bear hug. She laughed and hugged him back.

"Way to go little space man!" she cheered, messing up his hair. "You just had to try and keep up with me didn't you?"

"What's to keep up with?" he teased. "You mouth works faster than your brain any day of the week."

"Shut up you Casper student!" he retorted happily, dancing out of the room and shouting," Mom! Dad! Guess whaaat?!!"

Danny closed the door behind her and began to dress. A little bubble of happiness grew in his chest and grew bigger and bigger the more he looked at his acceptance letter. As he yanked on his long cadet boots, his phone rang. Danny snatched it up after recognizing Tucker's ringtone, a weird mash-up of "Another one bites the dust," and "Hotel California".

"Dude!" Tucker's voice yelled. "Guess who just got into Casper!"

"If your answer if me, then you are the winner," Danny replied, a grin spreading over his face.

"WE MADE IT!" Tucker celebrated. "Sam just called me too! She thinks her admission might be partly because there aren't many Chlorises that even enlist, but who cares? We're in dude!"

"Be at your house in ten minutes," Danny said, striding out his bedroom door.

"Later."

Danny hung up. The sounds of his rejoicing family were swelling louder and louder. The fear and uncertainty of the last few days melted away as he entered the congratulations of his family in their warm and bright kitchen.