Suspicion

Danny sat nervously in the new room. The guards had ushered him through the door and left without another word. Being alone with his sweating hands and pounding heart was worse than if he had been immediately questioned. 

He focused on his breathing. He could not start glowing now. Even if this investigation wasn't about him, he couldn't risk revealing himself. 

He jumped as his phone buzzed in his pocket. Danny grabbed it, frantic for news from his parents. But before he could check the message, the door behind him slid open. He hurriedly shoved his phone back into his pocket, turning to look at the newcomer.

It was a curvy woman wearing a Space Corps uniform. She had a high forehead, large slanted eyes, and a skin tone that shaded from cream to deep red. Danny ran through the list of aliens they had covered in class so far. This woman didn't match any he had learned about yet. 

"Hello dear," she smiled, holding out a slender, clawed hand to him. Danny shook it, not sure how to respond. 

She settled in the chair across the table.

"My name is Penelope Spectra," she told him. "And you're Daniel Fenton, is that correct?"

"Yes ma'am." he agreed.

"Mmhmmm," she mused, pulling out a tablet and flicking through his file. 

"Very impressive grade history Mr. Fenton. Top of your class in early cadet training, one of the highest entry scores to Casper, many teachers describing you as going above and beyond their expectations," she complimented. 

"Thank you."

"Hmm... seems you've been struggling a bit lately though," she said, fixing those large green eyes on him. "Several tardies and absences in the past few weeks. Incomplete or late assignments."

A heavy silence fell.

"Yeah... I got sick right after I switched schools. It's been hard to catch up," Danny explained. 

"Oh you poor thing," Spectra crooned sympathetically. "What did you get sick with? It must have been nasty to keep you out of school for five days."

"I don't know exactly what it was. I was just really... weak and shaky for a few days."

Spectra looked at him for a long moment with those large liquid eyes. Danny got the uncomfortable feeling she wasn't buying his story.

"Well I'm glad you're feeling better," she said a moment later. "Now Danny, is it alright if I call you Danny? We've been picking up some unsettling chatter around Casper Institute lately. Is it alright with you if I ask you a few questions, just to make sure you're not involved in whatever's been happening?"

Danny nodded, not sure how he could reasonably refuse. 

"Lovely."

She set the tablet down and folded her hands on the table in front of her. 

"Now dear, there seems to be a growing group of extremists across the ranks of Space Corps. These radicals claim responsibility for many acts of violence throughout the galaxy. The biggest one they identify with is the destruction of the Halpha planet."

Danny felt as if all the air left his lungs. He heard Spectra's next words as if through deep water. 

"Have you heard anyone talking about Halphas lately? Any rumours?"

"No," Danny managed, head still spinning. 

"Are you sure dear? This is a matter of grave importance to Space Corps."

"I'm sure," he replied. 

Spectra made a small note. 

"Okay, we're almost done Danny. I just have one more question."

She pulled up the image of his scan on her tablet. Danny noticed it had been red flagged and marked as Suspect.

"Why are you wearing a radiation containment suit underneath your uniform?"

Danny looked at her, panic flooding through him. 

"I... it's... I need it to-"

He didn't know what to say! The situation was crashing down all around him. They knew! They knew everything! His heart began racing, that strange heat pulsing with every beat. 

No! Not now!  he thought frantically. But that only made things worse. His hair bleached white in front of his eyes, his skin began glowing green beneath its fake tan.

Spectra gave a grim smile, revealing her needle-like teeth. 

"I think you have some explaining to do dear."