Straight Answers

"Are you ready to share your story with me Daniel?" Spectra asked.

"Are you ready to give me a few straight answers first?" Danny replied, fixing her with a hard stare. 

"What's the harm in that?" Spectra shrugged, sitting back in her chair. "Ask away."

"And you'll tell the truth?"

"My dear boy, what use would it be for me to lie at this point?" 

They locked eyes for a long moment. And Danny sensed that she was being honest. He wouldn't be around much longer after this interview anyway. No use in keeping secrets. 

"What's going to happen to my family when this is over?"

"We'll have them sign contracts of silence of their experience here. If they do this, they can return to their normal lives. As long as none of them stir up trouble, we won't press this matter with them. Your family and friends all have such value to Space Corps."

"They'll be safe?"

Spectra nodded. 

"You may think we're monsters Daniel. But Space Corps exists to protect the galaxy and those who live in it."

"Unless you can't find a weakness to their species," Danny growled. "How many people know about who destroyed Halpha?"

"Oh very few. General Walker lead the effort, and a few of his closest officers helped carry it out. It has always been a closely guarded secret. There would be such controversy if word ever got out. The Halphas put on a very friendly face to the galaxy. But make no mistake Daniel. There were nasty incidents leading up to the ultimate decision of elimination."

"What kind of incidents?" Danny asked suspiciously.

"When we first tried to establish communications, crew from a Halpha ship phased through our craft, cutting off the life support and killing all personnel aboard. We had no defense against them. Numerous other accounts of infiltration and spy work were linked back to the Halphas. They were just too dangerous."

Danny's hands curled into fists under the table. Dangerous. Was that ship of fleeing refugees dangerous? Was his terrified sister dangerous? 

"Now, are you ready to tell me what happened?"

Danny took a deep breath, trying to convince himself that this was for the best. 

"You promise that everyone will be safe? You won't hurt them after I tell you?"

Spectra nodded.

Danny hung his head in defeat and began to recount his memory.

.................................................................................................

"You have it?" Walker asked, looking through his deputy's notes.

"Yes sir. And I could tell that he was telling the whole truth. There was no hint of a lie anywhere in his story," Spectra confirmed. 

"So the full ship went down, but that escape pod might have survived..." Walker mused thoughtfully. 

"Unlikely, but possible."

Walker nodded slowly. His cold eyes ran up and down the notes of the boy's retelling, taking in the facts, not the emotions or fear.

"Very well. Get the secrecy contracts to the boy's relations and prepare for the euthanasia."

"Sir... I think he might go more calmly if we give him a moment for goodbyes," Spectra suggested.

"You told him what was going to happen?" Walker snapped, rounding on her. 

"No sir, but he's a smart boy. He knows what is coming. We can prevent a lot of struggle if he has some closure with his loved ones."

Walker sighed.

"Fine. Give him a few minutes each. I want to get this over with as soon as possible."